The Western World is not responsible for the deaths of mil.. - Page 2

View Poll Results :Are we responsible for the death of millions?
YES 5 19.23%
NO 21 80.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

November 30th, 2004  
A Can of Man

While it's no secret that the colonial activities in Africa screwed things up big time there's only so much you can blame on the Colonialists.
If you say is the West responsible for the deaths of millions... I don't know. Could be. Simply because of their scale of involvement around the world not neccessarily because they are "evil."

i.e. a population of 5 million will have a higher death per month count than a population of 500,000. Not because the bunch with 5 million are in poorer conditions but simply because there's more of them. Same goes with scale. A guy would make more mistakes after making 500 decisions, than if he makes only 10 decisions (theoretically speaking).

However there are some things that happened that incline me to say yes. The Holocaust is a big example. The way World War I started also inclines me to say yes as well. It was started because of bureaucratic laziness. Indirectly also with the creation of Israel. That alone sparked many wars. Whether it was right or wrong is another argument, but it's true that doing so lead to a lot of deaths.

Again... it's really only because of the scale of involvement.
November 30th, 2004  
irishgal

ok we didn't cause any suffering or poverty and the government for these countries is to blame, but we shouldn't turn a blind eye, its the people, the everyday normal people who are suffering, not the government, they are helpless and are not given a chance for a happy life like we are its easy for us fatcats to sit back and say to hell with it while millions of children die from suffering and diseases, if we all ignored it we would be a dam selfish world.

its good to give a helping hand and to let them people who see their children die, and children who see their parents die every day of the week know that some people in the devolped world do care, even if their governments don't.

"Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing."
Philippians 2:3-4

"Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the orphan. Fight for the rights of widows"
Isaiah 1:17

you can't argue with the bible!
November 30th, 2004  
03USMC

The problem being that while the West sends aid it's the peoples leaders who withhold it from them to further their own profits or agendas.
--
Boots
November 30th, 2004  
Lupos

Plus we get blamed for everything once we get involved.
November 30th, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupos
Plus we get blamed for everything once we get involved.

Yep we become war mongering imperialists who enforce our will on the poor peace loving masses in the 3rd World.

Gotta love it.
December 1st, 2004  
Italian Guy

I think it is not the West fault.
Globalization is a powerful tool of integration and of development. Ask South Korea or Taiwan. Ask Singapore, Malaysia.

The US, like I said long ago on this forum, is in a EWYGYC situation.
It means Either Way You Go You're Screwed: the US intervenes? Imperialists. The US stays home? Selfish rich fat people.
December 1st, 2004  
irishgal

we are selfish rich fat people its a fact
December 1st, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal
we are selfish rich fat people its a fact
With the amount of aid we send, how can that be. We attempt to aid nations and are vilified for it.

More than one Western solider has died to end famine, tyranny, genocide, and ethnic cleansing in the third world. Only to be forgotten not only by the west but the very people he was sent to aid.

However if your statement makes you feel enlightend go ahead.
December 1st, 2004  
dougal

Ireland must be one of the smallest populated countrys in the world but yet were thrid for over seas aid.
December 1st, 2004  
irishgal

was going by the first few posts ppl