Western security contractors targeting Iraqi civilians

Well, you don't know that...

...but that would be damned smart. If I did that I'd put on some beach boys or Christina Agulera. Maybe put a little pink fuzzy bunny in the shot. See, now that's smart.

Whispering Death said:
Well, you don't know that...

...but that would be damned smart. If I did that I'd put on some beach boys or Christina Agulera. Maybe put a little pink fuzzy bunny in the shot. See, now that's smart.

Apparently, some US troops put California Dreaming on a video showing Vietnamese villages being napalmed.

One has to put this whole thing in perspective, why where those guys shooting?

This is what the report says:

The road has acquired the dubious distinction of being the most dangerous in the world because of the number of suicide attacks and ambushes carried out by insurgents against coalition troops. In one four-month period earlier this year it was the scene of 150 attacks.

They were riding down the most dangerous roads in Iraq.

There were 150 suicide attacks on that road. Because of that, maybe they are authorize to shoot cars that are getting to close. I don't know.

I don't think they were shooting for fun. If they were then they should be punished.

The Iraqi civilians should know better than to speed up to coalition vehicles, or they should at least be told not to. Maybe they were told, those who did did not recognaize the vehicle or follow instuction, but I'm just guessing, but thats just common sense, especially in a war zone.

How do you know any one of those cars was not a suicide bomber?

Even if you are not a bomber, and you act suspiciously in a war zone chances are you are going to get shot at.

Its easy for someone to put this up, put some Elvis music on it and slant it to be totally one sided and make them totally look bad, but you have to remember what the situation over there is.

Here is more info form the news source;

Security companies awarded contracts by the US administration in Iraq adopt the same rules for opening fire as the American military. US military vehicles carry a sign warning drivers to keep their distance from the vehicle. The warning which appears in both Arabic and English reads "Danger. Keep back. Authorised to use lethal force." A similar warning is also displayed on the rear of vehicles belonging to Aegis.

If this is the case then speeding vehicles going up to coalition vehicles can be shot at.

"hey akbar, are those dudes shooting at us, maybe we should stop"

"no no mohammed, we need to speed up and stear our vechile DIRECTLY towards the car thats shooting at us."

Please...good shootin' boys.

Fact, if civilian vehicles get too close for comfort they have the right to fire, after warning has been given.

I'd particularly be edgy as :cen: riding on that stretch.

Sadist Dream said:
Fact, if civilian vehicles get too close for comfort they have the right to fire, after warning has been given.

You have a source for that "fact" hoss or is this an opinion?

FACT: Go to any Arab state and witness their driving then you will see why people get annoyed when bullets start flying at them they all drive like lunatics and thats by British standards!
But if they receive a warning telling em to back off or get blown up its their own fault

gladius said:
There were 150 suicide attacks on that road. Because of that, maybe they are authorize to shoot cars that are getting to close. I don't know.

The Iraqi civilians should know better than to speed up to coalition vehicles, or they should at least be told not to. Maybe they were told, those who did did not recognaize the vehicle or follow instuction, but I'm just guessing, but thats just common sense, especially in a war zone.

Security companies awarded contracts by the US administration in Iraq adopt the same rules for opening fire as the American military. US military vehicles carry a sign warning drivers to keep their distance from the vehicle. The warning which appears in both Arabic and English reads "Danger. Keep back. Authorised to use lethal force." A similar warning is also displayed on the rear of vehicles belonging to Aegis.

If this is the case then speeding vehicles going up to coalition vehicles can be shot at.

You make some valid points

But who actually authorizes them to use lethal force?

Also, we don't know how big the sign was that warned other's of their "authorization", or if they even had one. From what we saw in the vid, the vehicle was a civilian one.

http://www.dod.gov/news/Sep2003/n09262003_200309268.html

The three-star general replied that, generally, "Whenever we are engaged, or we feel there is a self-defense threat, we will respond with the necessary level of force," to include the possible use of air-to-ground support. If the enemy attacks U.S. troops, Sanchez continued, "we will bring the maximum amount of combat power that is necessary to defeat that enemy force, wherever that enemy force is located."

Regarding road checkpoints in Iraq, the general noted, "we have reviewed our rules of engagement," which now allow U.S. troops to first fire warning shots at vehicles suspected of trying to run through road checkpoints or attack the service members manning them.
"So those rules of engagement are well in place," Sanchez noted, adding that U.S. military personnel have been trained to follow those rules and that the rules are under constant review.

Also, we don't know how big the sign was that warned other's of their "authorization", or if they even had one. From what we saw in the vid, the vehicle was a civilian one.

[/quote]

Yeh and they were heading straight towards the vechile the guys were in, at a way too high rate of speed. And even after being engaged kept comeing...sounds like a death wish to me.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
But who actually authorizes them to use lethal force?

What kind of dumb question is this. Who do you think?

We don't know how small the sign is either, and what if they did have a sign. There is a freakin' insurgency going on in Iraq. I'm sure the Iraqis have been told not to follow a coalition vehicle If they get careless, or if they don't pay attention, or if they act suspicious whether they know it or not, then may get shot at. And if they don't heed the sign or if there isn't one, a bunch of guys in the vehicle with machine guns should tell you to stay away, those Iraqis probably weren't paying attention.

What do you want them to do? Stop and ask Achbar who is following them, "Excuse me sir, why are you following us so close, are you a suicide bomber?"
Achbar answers, "No I am not!" *KABOOM!!!*

As far as the civilian vehicle, of course it is a civilian vehicle.

Thats what the contracted security forces are there for. They acompany civilian contractors throughout Iraq to provide them protection, when they go to their jobs and when they ride their civilian vehicles.

Regarding road checkpoints in Iraq, the general noted, "we have reviewed our rules of engagement," which now allow U.S. troops to first fire warning shots at vehicles suspected of trying to run through road checkpoints or attack the service members manning them.
"So those rules of engagement are well in place," Sanchez noted, adding that U.S. military personnel have been trained to follow those rules and that the rules are under constant review.

And what exactly is the definition of a warning shot? About a dozen rounds of a .50 cal through the windshield..... Anyway, I think that most Iraqies do know that there are "some troubles" in their country and that they know by now, that coalition forces use life rounds.... So add that up and, if you have 2 brain cells, you won't drive edgy around coalition vehicles with lots of .50 cals!

Too bad Phoenix, this opens up the road a very one-dimensional vision of events and stand in the way of an objective point of view on many issues. I usually read both, add them up and devide them by two.

Ted said:

And what exactly is the definition of a warning shot? About a dozen rounds of a .50 cal through the windshield..... Anyway, I think that most Iraqies do know that there are "some troubles" in their country and that they know by now, that coalition forces use life rounds.... So add that up and, if you have 2 brain cells, you won't drive edgy around coalition vehicles with lots of .50 cals!

Exactly. It's a learned thing like, don't run from the police when ordered to stop. Always show your hands when a policeman stops you. Reach for your insurance and driver's license only when he is at your car door. And that's in anyone's own country, not a battle zone.

Back