The Westboro Baptist Church thugs are at it again

Why is it that in a country where you have such idiots as the recent Batman murderer, that they never bother doing something that would be really appreciated, like getting rid of these religious nutters?

That's exactly what I thought, Spike! It's very un-Christian of me, but I couldn't help but wonder why that psychotic gunman didn't go after those people instead.

Honestly...I just feel so bad. Why are people like this allowed to walk the earth and so many other innocent lives taken from us? :( These people should not be allowed to keep their children. I don't care that this is a "free" country where people can practice what they choose. With hatred like this there is no way you can raise a remotely healthy child. That should be reason alone to take them away. (And then sterilize the members of the church). :(

That's exactly what I thought, Spike! It's very un-Christian of me, but I couldn't help but wonder why that psychotic gunman didn't go after those people instead.

It would not do any fun, I suppose...

I would say that the gunman is psychotic, not fanatic...:D

But it is pretty sad that a group of people would od something like that to thier own countrymen, the wesboro people, I mean... it is becasue of these soldiers that they are protesting against, that they have that right to do what they do...

I have a suggestion- since they are Christians and they think they are right, we should send them to Iran to propagate the true teachings of Jesus... I am sure the Iranians are going to be most baffled as to what to do with them...

Honestly...I just feel so bad. Why are people like this allowed to walk the earth and so many other innocent lives taken from us? :( These people should not be allowed to keep their children. I don't care that this is a "free" country where people can practice what they choose. With hatred like this there is no way you can raise a remotely healthy child. That should be reason alone to take them away. (And then sterilize the members of the church). :(

Well, pixie, you know what they say- GOD moves in mysterious ways...

I tell you right now- GOD IS BUSY! Lets give them a helping hand- lets kick some a$$ and send these people to.... North Korea?

Why is it that in a country where you have such idiots as the recent Batman murderer, that they never bother doing something that would be really appreciated, like getting rid of these religious nutters?

Because we have just as many in public service. Who believe it or not sometimes rely on these folks as a voter base.

You gotta to be joking, Yoss...

Or... as the English like to say... "Surely , you jest..."...

I am primarly talking about local and state levels. It's much easier to rub shoulders with joe schmoe and his group of hooligans on Sunday before the commissioner elections, to persuade him and his council of idiots to vote for you come election day that Thursday.

This happens all across the country, from a vareity of angles. Not that it's illegal or anything, but to gain 30 or 40 extra ballots in your local election campgain is a pretty good boost to make maybe a few promises or proposed property tax cuts or something along those lines.

Many people show no interest in their local elections and often whack job special interest groups run with a sizable chunk of ballots come election day.

Think of the Romney Obama drama unfolding right now and shrink it to a much smaller scale.

Because we have just as many in public service. Who believe it or not sometimes rely on these folks as a voter base.
Absolutely no one relys on the westboro nuts as a voting base, or is this an outragious attempt to compare typical Christians to the nuts?

I am primarly talking about local and state levels. It's much easier to rub shoulders with joe schmoe and his group of hooligans on Sunday before the commissioner elections, to persuade him and his council of idiots to vote for you come election day that Thursday.

This happens all across the country, from a vareity of angles. Not that it's illegal or anything, but to gain 30 or 40 extra ballots in your local election campgain is a pretty good boost to make maybe a few promises or proposed property tax cuts or something along those lines.

Many people show no interest in their local elections and often whack job special interest groups run with a sizable chunk of ballots come election day.

Think of the Romney Obama drama unfolding right now and shrink it to a much smaller scale.
Lets see...we have Republicans saying the people who earn money can keep more of it vs the Democrats who tell people they'll buy their votes by giving them govt handouts. The problem is the numbers who vote for a living is almost as large those who work for a living. It can't continue indefinatly,

Absolutely no one relys on the westboro nuts as a voting base, or is this an outragious attempt to compare typical Christians to the nuts?

I was mentioning it could be understandible if it were so. However I was more or less at least looking for a logical explanation of their apparent brain damage, which proves ever the more difficult in this situation.

Not looking to blow the whistle on normal folks who have no part in this. Especailly considering I am myself a part of the other group you mentioned in this comment, and would rather see the rest of us left out of this.

Same sentiments are most likely felt in other relgious communities every time a group of radical nuts committs idiotic acts such as this thus dragging them into facing such criticisms.

I was mentioning it could be understandible if it were so. However I was more or less at least looking for a logical explanation of their apparent brain damage, which proves ever the more difficult in this situation.

Not looking to blow the whistle on normal folks who have no part in this. Especailly considering I am myself a part of the other group you mentioned in this comment, and would rather see the rest of us left out of this.

Same sentiments are most likely felt in other relgious communities every time a group of radical nuts committs idiotic acts such as this thus dragging them into facing such criticisms.

I live in a country that has history of communal violence in the 50's and 60's. That tends to leave a permanent mark on you even till now. And being a small state with a small population (hell, the city of New York has a population larger than us...), we simply cannot afford that, and the S'pore government worked hard at making sure that these history will not be repeated- so we have laws that deter the likes of these Wesboro clowns. In fact any attempt to disrupt harmony through religous discontent is never taken lightly.

Sometimes, I am amazed at the Americans, yet at the same time, I am truly impressed by their sense of fairplay... You hate these guys, yet you protect them thru your ?Bill of Rights. These jokers would not last 10 seconds in places like Iran, North Korea, Syria. They may last about 30 minutes here before they are thrown in jail... But I suppose that is what makes America truly unique- the concept of "... I may hate and disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it..."

Give this Wesboro people to us here. Let us show them what a cell in Changi Prison looks like- mind you, it is the new complex (the old one built by the British were torn down years ago...)

Give them to us....

@Viper

Not to sound like I am generalizing as I am sure there are many exceptions and yes people are individuals and have their own take on things. But would it be fair to say that Asian cultures (not local ones [national or racially based] but as a vague commonality forged through historic interactions between very different and distinct peoples) are more inclined to sacrifice personal civil liberties for the sake of social harmony? Interesting concept seen replicated alot through out eastern Asia specifically.

Where as the west are more likely to staunchly defend them at the cost of social cohesion and common sense.

@Viper

Not to sound like I am generalizing as I am sure there are many exceptions and yes people are individuals and have their own take on things. But would it be fair to say that Asian cultures (not local ones [national or racially based] but as a vague commonality forged through historic interactions between very different and distinct peoples) are more inclined to sacrifice personal civil liberties for the sake of social harmony? Interesting concept seen replicated alot through out eastern Asia specifically.

Where as the west are more likely to staunchly defend them at the cost of social cohesion and common sense.

Well, I have to say that I would agree to that, Captiva...

Whether be it Chinese, Malay, Indian or other race/ dialects, if you look deep down, there would similarity in how these people perceive civil liberties.

On a personal note, I was a wee bit young when Singapore went through that period where racial tensions were present. My dad was in the police force at that time, and I remember the way my dad says goodbye when he goes off to work- it like thats the final goodbye. When he returned home, it was like a homecoming like no other. I remember seeing my mom go through the agony of not knowing how my dad is coming back or not- mind you, those days communication was still rather primitive by today's standard.

I am not going to make apologies for people who take their personal freedom and freedom of speech for granted. The reason they are able to do that is because someone put their life on the line (and some paid the ultimate price) to ensure that these people has that freedom. The Wesboro clowns ought to consider that- they people thay hate so much are the people who ensured that they have that luxury to do just that....

Back