well, whad'ya think?

I don't think we should search for extraterrestrials. When I think of aliens I don't come up with any particular mental image, because they will likely be totally different from anything we've ever seen on this planet, or anything we can possibly infer or imagine. We might not even recognize them as living if they aren't carbon based. Anyways if an alien race has the technology to make it through interstellar space and say hi they also have the technology to kill us like a small dog.

It's prolly about as effective as a caveman throwing painted bones into the air hoping that one will hit a stranger on the head somewhere and that the stranger will be able to decipher it.

If there are other life forms out there, I'd be very surprised if they used any technology that we do,... so how will they receive our signals. We could always load up a few outdated ICBMs with radio receivers and fire them into space I suppose, hoping that they will find them, realise what they are and use them to pick up our signals.

God help us if they pick up some, "Techno/Rap" station first. we may well have a war on our hands.

What's wrong with techno? It's one of the few music types that is truly universal. I bet they'd understand.

What if they pick up signals from an action movie where the aliens are the bad guys? Then we're boned.

Aren't we already, ever since we started utilizing radiowaves for communications?

Oddly enough they believe that it is unlikely any of our radio waves have left the solar system before they are diluted into normal background noise.

I don't think we should search for extraterrestrials. When I think of aliens I don't come up with any particular mental image, because they will likely be totally different from anything we've ever seen on this planet, or anything we can possibly infer or imagine. We might not even recognize them as living if they aren't carbon based. Anyways if an alien race has the technology to make it through interstellar space and say hi they also have the technology to kill us like a small dog.

Your post does match the views of at least one astronaut, who is reported as believing that there are certainly aliens out there, and that they are benign, on the basis that if they were not, we would not be here still.

Are we searching for some who are not?:confused:

It's a waste of money. What GOOD can ever come from bringing them over here?? Assuming that they can actually listen in on radio waves. Assuming that they can get here. Assuming that we can even realize that we're getting a response... assuming... ah forget it.

I think the article's author is suggesting it is a dangerous thing to impose upon our future generations for unnecessary reasons.

Oddly enough they believe that it is unlikely any of our radio waves have left the solar system before they are diluted into normal background noise.
So we think, with our limited technology. But maybe their civilization is more advanced and can still pick up our signals from the background noise?

In any case, if there's an alien race out there that has grown more advanced than us, I'd guess they already know where and who we are. Heck, maybe they're already here, observing and reporting major developments back to their home planet. Oh dear lord, maybe they even continuously manipulate us. Maybe every single significant politician or businessman is telekinetically controlled by aliens? :army:

No need to go to all that trouble. Theres a guy around here that gets abducted on a weekly basis. Post what you want the ET's to answer or know and I'll have him put in his PJ pocket. Maybe he'll get an answer for ya.

I'll have to check and see what days are abduction days because on the other days the CIA trys to steal his Brain Waves and sometimes the Chinese try to kidnap him and turn him into the Manchurian Canidate.

Back