well, it's that time of year again :( - Page 4

--
well, it's that time of year again :(

January 12th, 2008  
Infern0

The Greenpeace ship Esperanza is in a high-speed pursuit of the Japanese whaling fleet in Antarctic waters today.
The Esperanza had been searching for the fleet for 10 days.
Greenpeace said the whalers took flight when they saw the protest vessel.
The whalers are unable to hunt while on the run.
In a radioed statement Greenpeace Japan whales campaigner Sakyo Noda said the Esperanza and its crew was there to "condemn" the whalers action.
"Your so-called scientific whaling is a hoax, and has been dismissed as useless by the International Whaling Commission. Modern scientific research on whales does not require killing them, he told the whalers."
He said the Japanese people no longer supported whaling and it was time for the Japanese government to stop whaling.
This was Greenpeace's ninth expedition to the Southern Ocean to defend the whales.
- NZPA
January 13th, 2008  
Infern0

Japan's whaling operation in the Southern Ocean has been temporarily stopped after the Greenpeace ship Esperanza chased its mother ship out of the hunting zone.
View video

Crew from the Esperanza hailed the turn of events as "a good result" after pursuing the Nisshin Maru beyond the designated limits imposed for the Japanese fleet's scientific research.
Esperanza spokeswoman Karli Thomas said without the Nisshin Maru, the factory boat for the fleet, the other five ships used separately for spotting and hunting the whales were inoperable.
"We've certainly shut down the whole operation for the time being at least."
The six whaling ships scattered and fled when they were found on Saturday, but the Esperanza crew had decided to pursue the Nisshin Maru, now about four kilometres ahead of its Greenpeace nemesis.
The Esperanza was also tracking a hunter boat but the location of the others was unknown.
"Every hour they're on the run they're not hunting, so that's whales saved, basically," Ms Thomas said.
She spoke of relief at identifying the whaling ship on radar after searching for the fleet for 10 days. "Obviously the first challenge of the expedition is to intercept the whaling fleet in such a big hunting area, and the next thing to do is to stop the hunting, and we've done both so we're pretty pleased."
The pursuit prompted a call by the Japan Whaling Association for Greenpeace to keep clear of the fleet. "Past activities of Greenpeace have been responsible for vessel collisions that risk the lives and safety of our researchers and crew and are illegal under international maritime law," association president Keiichi Nakajima said.
The Esperanza's crew is preparing its tactics, including if necessary getting between the hunter boat and its prey, for when hunting resumes.
But Ms Thomas said the Esperanza would not share its coordinates with the other ship searching the icy Antarctic waters, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's Steve Irwin.
Greenpeace has refused to work with the Sea Shepherd group because of its violent tactics, a stance that has disappointed but not surprised the Steve Irwin's captain, Paul Watson.
"It is disappointing and I feel quite irritated but there is nothing we can do," he said. "How can you call yourself Greenpeace and promote peace between nations when you can't even work towards peace in your own movement?"
January 13th, 2008  
senojekips

My main issue with this is that countries like Japan have effectively hunted whales to extinction in the Northern hemisphere, now they want to come down here and bugger up our oceans too.

Whales, Tuna and anything else they want. What really gets up my nose is the fact that they claim to be doing it for research purposes, and our Government will not stand up to them and call them liars, saying that we are not going to accept it any longer.

Research is for preservation of the species, not the extinction of it.
--
January 14th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
My main issue with this is that countries like Japan have effectively hunted whales to extinction in the Northern hemisphere, now they want to come down here and bugger up our oceans too.

Whales, Tuna and anything else they want. What really gets up my nose is the fact that they claim to be doing it for research purposes, and our Government will not stand up to them and call them liars, saying that we are not going to accept it any longer.

Research is for preservation of the species, not the extinction of it.
Perhaps there is a need to "research" Japanese whaling ships further?

I suggest 20ish a year should be sustainable.
January 15th, 2008  
Infern0

Japanese whalers seize protestors

By MICHAEL FIELD - Fairfax Media | Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Sea Shepherd
SEIZED: Protester Giles Lane cries out as he is tied up, while colleague Benjamin Potts, second from the right, watches on, already bound.

Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean seized two protesters and tied them to the mast of one of their harpoon ships, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has said, a claim hotly disputed by Japan.
"They have assaulted and kidnapped two of my crew," Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd's Steve Irwin told Fairfax Media as his ship chased the whaler with his men aboard.
Japan's Institute for Cetacean Research confirmed two anti-whaling activists were being held, but institute director-general Minoru Morimoto has denied the men were tied up.
By around 11pm Australian Benjamin Potts and Briton Giles Lane had been held for five hours on the harpoon ship Yushin Maru No 2.
Earlier in the day they had gone aboard the whaler to deliver a letter, saying they had done so because the Japanese had refused to acknowledge radio communications.
"I am not boarding your ship with the intent to commit a crime, to rob you or to inflict injury upon your crew and yourself or damage to your ship," the letter said.
The were delivering the message and then "request that you allow me to disembark from your vessel without harm or seizure."
Mr Morimoto confirmed the two men had been taken into custody, and said they were taken to a secure room.
"Any accusations that we have tied them up or assaulted them are completely untrue," Mr Morimoto said.
"It is illegal to board another country's vessels on the high seas. As a result, at this stage, they are being held in custody while decisions are made on their future," he said in a statement.
"The two boarded the Yushin Maru No 2 after they made attempts to entangle the screw of the vessel using ropes and throwing bottles of acid on to the decks."
But Watson said as the two boarded Yushin Maru the Japanese attacked them.
"First of all they tried to throw Benjamin Potts overboard, but he managed to get his way out of that.
"Then they assaulted Giles Lane. He seems to be in some pain. They tied him up incredible number of ropes.
"It looks like some kind of bondage movie. Its ridiculous."
- With AAP
January 15th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Well no point in crying about that... brave work but if you board a ship illegally chances are you will get tied up.
Keep up the good work guys (protestors)
January 15th, 2008  
MontyB

Yeah I am kind of leaning toward the whalers on this one, boarding a boat in international waters without invite can lead to trouble especially when you know the crew of the boat don't want you on board.
January 15th, 2008  
senojekips

Silly, silly, they have broken a whole raft of internationally accepted laws. They have done their cause no justice whatsoever.

If whilst in International waters the skipper refused to answer their communications, that is his prerogative, except in case of the safety of human life at sea.

He had every right to treat the uninvited boarders as pirates if he so wished.
January 15th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Spike is it true that you can be shot for illegally boarding a ship like that?
January 16th, 2008  
senojekips

Only where absolutely necessary, to protect the lives of passengers and crew, but, almost no merchant ships other than some Russian vessels carry firearms. (That I know of)

Mind you, half a dozen angry seamen armed with 2' pieces of 1" pipe, or jacob's ladder rungs could certainly make life very uncomfortable. I still have the ladder rung I was issued with when transiting the Sulu Sea, although we were told to only use them if we knew we could do it with minimum risk to the crew, e.g. the pirates were poorly armed or unaware of our presence.