Well, it's going on a year now.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
You guys it's been almost 1 year without the Tomcat in active service, in the U.S. armed forces. Now, I could make a flashy thread with a whole bunch of specifications and mile markers of Tomcat history. But , I am making a statement, not a documentary.

That statement is. I miss it, when I was 5 years old I started to gain interest in military aviation. Learning the simple stuff first. I got a toy Blue Angeles F 14 for Christmas one year, and haven't lost interest in it since. I one day hope I can go to the Moscow air show, and the Paris Air show. Maybe even hit up another Beaufort air show if one is held.

Sucks though, I don't think I will ever see another cat in the sky again. Unless the Cat's Claw hit's some major events.

Any way, what do you guys think? Anything you want to say about the
F 14? Or the Tomcatter squadrons, or assignments, dog fights, or just personal opinions. ANYTHING. Just post it here. Pics, stories, books you read, web links to tomcat organizations, any thing....

(please make sure you comply with the site rules and regulations, I am no forum staff person, but I don't want to get any one in trouble)

It was a nice plane but it looks like the Navy is looking to standardize as many things as possible.
For example, the EA-6B Prowler will be replaced by the EA-18G Growler. It's an F-18 modified to be an ECM aircraft.

Yes, it is. The thing that gets me is that the F 14 could have been modified prolonged usage in the 21st century. But for a variety of reasons it was not pressured. I can give you info if you like.

I once saw Tomcat in the air in Randolph AFB, San Antonio, for the air show. Unbelievable. Very loud. They should be upgrade more and stay active for the few more years but, oh, well.

Yes, it is. The thing that gets me is that the F 14 could have been modified prolonged usage in the 21st century. But for a variety of reasons it was not pressured. I can give you info if you like.

It was of the late 1960s and early 70s technology.... F-14 was a great aircraft but wasn't fit to serve in 21st century! I love it so much but the facts have it the other way.

Indeed, it's a beautiful bird, but it was too expensive to maintain (not taking into account any costs needed for more modernization). By simplifying the air wing and using F/A-18 variants for almost everything, the Navy can cut costs on spare parts and training.

F-4.. the only aircraft to become the standard multi-role fighter in the Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps at the same time.
I think standardizing the aircraft onto the F/A-18 airframe was a great idea. Cutting costs is very important for any military and I think the F/A-18 is still good enough to ensure high enough of a performance to meet demands.

F-4.. the only aircraft to become the standard multi-role fighter in the Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps at the same time.
I think standardizing the aircraft onto the F/A-18 airframe was a great idea. Cutting costs is very important for any military and I think the F/A-18 is still good enough to ensure high enough of a performance to meet demands.

Like the F 4, the F 35 will be in those shoes soon enough, with a newer generation of pilots, will have there shot at being hopefully, the best aviators and crews they can be.

But, still, I was looking at some concepts involving the F 14 being furtherly modified, both in Avionics, and Performance with the Airframe. But, this was shot out of the water with the U.S. military soon to be economically efficient , as you said The 13th Redneck, a work horse like the F 4.Which in my opinion, was a very good airplane to.

F-4 Phantom was a good plane but only thing that they don't have, 20mm gatling machine. Not sure if they did upgraded it later in 1970's. Correct me if I'm mistake.

Hell I still miss the F-4... now THAT was a workhorse.[/quote]

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.

Dude! I never said that!
In fact, if you really want to see the F-4 you can go to South Korea who still operate a good deal of them.

F-4 Phantom was a good plane but only thing that they don't have, 20mm gatling machine. Not sure if they did upgraded it later in 1970's. Correct me if I'm mistake.

I think the F-4E and onwards had an internal 20mm cannon.
Before that, they were a little ahead of their time and felt the 20mm cannon was obsolete and the age of beyond visual range air combat had come.
But from what I heard of the airplane, it's a hard plane to fly (that's why it's got a crew of two) and so the days of the Phantom are pretty much numbered.

Last edited:
Dude! I never said that!
In fact, if you really want to see the F-4 you can go to South Korea who still operate a good deal of them.

I think the F-4E and onwards had an internal 20mm cannon.
Before that, they were a little ahead of their time and felt the 20mm cannon was obsolete and the age of beyond visual range air combat had come.
But from what I heard of the airplane, it's a hard plane to fly (that's why it's got a crew of two) and so the days of the Phantom are pretty much numbered.

HIGHER, FURTHER, FASTER. Trust me, that how the USAF thought on fighter aircraft in the 50s, and 60s, the F 4, although one of the last aircraft using this theory. Shows this very well.

That's what I love about the Eagle and the Tomcat, the Tomcat, is agile, and made to be a Mig Killer. And, by God, I think it did that well...

Back