Well, I'm off for the summer!

ARMY101

Well,
I leave tomorrow morning for my summer training :D The Royal Canadian Army Cadets have several camps that are based over the summer. All of the long ones are done over the summer (2-6 weeks) because we can't just leave school and don't live on bases.

Personally, I'll be attending Army Cadet Leader Instructor: Drill & Ceremonial training in Blackdown (I leave tomorrow :D). Drill & Ceremonial is the hardest Cadet course there is available (aside from applying for full-on Military Parachutist), which entails 8 hours of drill per day. All drill is advanced - everything from rifle drill to advanced foot drill is covered, as well as the use of swords, pace sticks, and drill canes.

You can see all available summer courses here.

Blackdown's main page is here :)

I'll be online quickly in the morning to check in on everything, and then I'm gone! Have a good summer!

Congrats! That's Alpha Coy, right? (it's been a few years since I've been to Borden) I have to disagree about it being the hardest Cadet course though, although it's certainly one of the hardest army cadet courses. Hopefully I'll get to see Sunset again this year, last year's was pretty awesome.

Have fun, and don't give any of my cadets a hard time if you see 'em around!

I guess everyone's got their opinions about what courses do what. I would say that it's the hardest, next only to trying for Basic Para. (which is a military course, not a cadet one) or maybe Rocky Mountain...

Keep an eye out for me around Sunset :D ;) :p

Good luck on D&C, Warrant. 8 hours of Drill is only the beginning if you're coming into the CF later on, eh.

Just got back from my course. Introduction to Leadership (3 weeks) at 3 Wing Bagotville.

I hope your having fun and enjoy the course.

NCdt Steliga said:
How'd you enjoy ILC, Yoman? Planning on going ITIC and SLC in the summers to come?
I applied for 5 courses this year. Glider, Tech, ITAC, SIC and ITLC. ITLC being my last choice. The course itself wasn't all that bad. The instructors are what make the difference. Luckily, I had good instructors who made the classes interesting. Its more the location that I didn't like.

I would actually like to do power next year seeing as I am now too big for glider (6 foot 3, 210 lbs). I am thinking of trying to lose some weight and trying for glider again next year. I'm just not sure how much weight I can lose without becoming a branch.

The course was difficult and challenging, but a lot of fun nonetheless :) Drill didn't get that bad (no more than 2-3 hours a day) in the first few weeks. Once we began training for Sunset, it got up into 6-10 hours per day, which was a little more than the 2 or 3 we were used to. In the end, Sunset looked amazing, so we knew that the hard work paid off :)

Sounds like towards the end of the academic year at the College. The last week we spent nearly the entire day doing parade practice for Grad Parade. This isn't including the people who volunteered to do Sunset Ceremony.

It was quite impressive. I wasn't actually able to see most of it as I was in it as a member of the Old 18 (1876 reenactment) and after we did our thing, we were cleaning our rifles for the better part of the rest of the ceremony. From what I heard though, it went off really well.

Back