Weight distribution PKM vs. MK 46

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I have heard some glowing reports about PKM GPMGs wieghing less than one of it's western counterparts, the Mk. 46, despite the fact that the PKM fires a larger cartrige (7.62 by 54 I believe.) as compared to the NATO 5.56 round empolyed by the Mk 46.

First thing that went through my mind is, Is it a Russian PKM? Or Russian with Serbian Recievers? (you'd be surprised where those parts can wind up.)

Or are they considering one of the recent western manufacured recievers for their PKM? Such as the VLTOR reciever assembly for the PKM on the western market. (I think you need a CLASS lll for that one.)

But the question remains.

If you pick up a PKM GPMG by the carrier handle it's dry wieght should be around 8 kg.

What of the Mk 46 ?

Just talking dry weight here with no magazine in the picture.

It just caught my attention as usually larger cartriges equals heavier weight, just thought that the mechinisms and firing assembly of the PKM would eqaul a heavier wieght due to the fact that it has to tolerate a heavier recoil produced by a slightly heavier round.

Personal experiance or stories involving either weapon or common knowledge there of is welcome.

If this thread or topic threatens any OPSEC about the Mk. 46 then please PM me.

Thanks,

Yo

Back