wearing dress blues

bambino

I am was in the Marines, and my question is - would I be able to wear my dress blues to deliver toys to an orphanage for toys for tots, while being in the Army? I will only be wearing them the day that we tak the toys.

Based on MCO. You may only wear the Marine Blue Dress Uniform after discharge to the Marine Corps Ball or at the pleasure of the President i.e. award ceremonies for military awards for past service, or if you are a retired officer you may wear blues, evening, or mess dress for formal military type functions.

If you are in another branch you must wear and abide by the uniform regulations of that service, despite your prior service in the Corps.

I'll be going to the Marine Corps Ball tonite ......wearing US Army Blue dress....because that is my current authorized uniform......questions?

Why do you want to wear the corps dress blues when you're in the Army?
Not trying to start anything between branches, just wondering why you wouldn't show pride in your current branch.

I'll be going to the Marine Corps Ball tonite ......wearing US Army Blue dress....because that is my current authorized uniform......questions?

I have a question... why in the hell are the marine uniforms so much better than ours? Oh wait, because the Corps is interested in keeping uniforms classic and functionally good looking. The Army is interested in whatever appeals to potential recruits. I find it funny that the Corps has made the individual Marine into it's own persona. What I mean by that, is the Army tends to show off its jobs (i.e. tanks, apaches, high tech computers) in it's recruiting and somehow the Marines get away with a guy fighting a dragon in a volcano with a sword.... and oddly enough the Marine ads look better! I wish the Army would knock off all this uniform insanity and just give us stuff that works and looks sharp. By contrast the Air Force has just gone completely insane lately.

is your reply based on a written regulation, or just based on word of mouth?

Army Regulation 670-1, Chapter 1, Paragraph 1-4 a.

"Only uniforms, accessories, and insignia prescribed in this regulation or in the common tables of allowance (CTA), or as approved by Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA), will be worn by personnel in the U.S. Army."​

Needless to say USMC uniforms are not in the Army regulation governing uniform wear and appearance. You are breaking regulation by wearing items of rank, awards, and uniforms that are not consistant with your current branch of service. Don't do it.

Yeah I was at Yongsan and I think I saw like maybe 4 different variations of the Air Force Uniform... sometimes I think they've got more uniforms than the rest of the armed services COMBINED!

Well 19K, the Army may not give you the cool uniform but they gave you a friggin tank. You could drive around butt naked in that thing and the enemy won't know the difference. hehe.

The Corps attitude towards uniforms is tradition. You won't see them changing dress blues or service uniforms much. Most parts of the uniform have traditional meaning buttons, collars, etc. That and simplicity. If you look at the skill badges athorized by the Corps they are few compared to other services.

IMO having served in both the Corps and Army Guard the difference is in the Corps the basic tradition lies with Your Corps, not your Division, Regt or Bn but the Corps itself while Army formations localize the tradition to Units and MOS like the Spur Ride etc.

Not saying it's wrong just different traditions and philosiphies.

Marines are just of a different tradition than the Army.

Back