Wear of non issue ACU boots

Duty Honor Country

I have done some poking around on the www to see about the wear of non issued ACU boots. So far everything I have come across has been vague. A power Point brief in JAN 06 from one unit said that "Soldiers may wear commercial boots of a design similar to that of the Army Combat Boot (tan), 8 to 10 inches in height as authorized by the commander. The boots must be made of tan rough side out cattle hide leather, with a plain toe, and have a tan, rubber outsole."

If this is correct, the issue is left to the commander. Does anyone have any insight on this?

according to my RRNCO, it is up to the commander to decide whether to let outside boots to be worn. though i dont see why you'd need outside boots, mine are just fine.

Doody said:
If this is correct, the issue is left to the commander. Does anyone have any insight on this?

CO's discretion, though the ACU Regs do allow it. All of the Army units/groups I've been working with (granted, they have a some extra leeway) have been allowed to wear pretty much whatever they want as long as they don't look like a@@.

5E2. OPTIONAL BOOTS - SOLDIERS MAY WEAR COMMERCIAL BOOTS OF A DESIGN
SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE ARMY COMBAT BOOT (TAN), 8 TO 10 INCHES IN HEIGHT AS AUTHORIZED BY THE COMMANDER. THE BOOTS MUST BE MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER, WITH A PLAIN TOE, AND HAVE A TAN, RUBBER OUTSOLE. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR OPTIONAL BOOTS IN LIEU OF THE STANDARD ISSUE ARMY COMBAT BOOTS (TAN) - HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER; HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT REPLACE ISSUE BOOTS AS A MANDATORY POSSESSION ITEM. OPTIONAL BOOTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WHEN THE COMMANDER ISSUES AND PRESCRIBES STANDARD ORGANIZATIONAL FOOTWEAR FOR SAFETY OR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS (SUCH AS INSULATED BOOTS OR SAFETY SHOES).

ACU Regs

Back