Weapons used by SWAT ?

Oh, yeah, my mistake, I think there are only SWAT in America.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of different weapons used by SWAT, to name a few: M16/M4, FN FAL, HK G36(k?), MP5 (PDW as well), HK G3/SG-1, a wide array of shotguns, lots of HK USPs, list goes on and on. Like TI said, it depends on the department and their budget/needs.

Oh boy, that's are hard one to answer.

Different departments issue different weapons. There is not a national standard in the US for what Law Enforcement can and cannot issue to their officers.

It comes down to what ever they want. Not all departments have a SWAT, SRT, CERT, HRT, or what ever name is out there for those groups.

My department issues it's officers GLOCK pistols, we can choose between the GLOCK 17, GLOCK 19, GLOCK 21, GLOCK 22, GLOCK 23. We carry Remington 870 Shotguns and AR-15 Rifles/Carbines in the trunk. The shotgun and rifle can be department issue or personally owned. That is just the patrol officer.

We had a SWAT team in the past but budgets made us disband the team. They used the samething as a patrol officer plus H&K MP5, GLOCK 18, Remington 700.

Miami-Dade County Sheriff issues it's officers with Sig Sauer P226 and allows them to carry either the Remington 870, Remington 1187, or Mossberg 500 shotgun, for rifle they are allowed to use the Colt 9mm Carbine only. No 5.56x45mm rifles for patrol officers expect for SRT and RID. To my knowledge those are all personal purchase. Even the sidearm. They are only allowed to carry a specific model of firearm but they have to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Last edited:
cant belive they have 2 pay 4 it out of pocket, altough i could provide the shotgun myself, i have a ton of them lol

That's the way the county works. Running joke is that in five years they'll charge their officers rent for the police station and a lease for the patrol car.

On top of the weapons already listed, I know that the SWAT in Washington DC and Indianapolis, IN also carry P90s.

Yeah US police departmants wouldnt have an M16 they would have the civilian AR15, I believe.
That depends on how much they want to spend, and their SOPs regarding the use of automatic weapons in their respective environments. IMO, only SWAT/CERT/etc type units should have automatic capabilities, and even then they better be damn proficient with said weapons.

*edited to add: the civilian laws pertaining to the buying and use of automatic weapons doesn't apply to law enforcement (i.e. post 86 dealer samples, imports, etc.) but it still costs a lot. 556 knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Oh I know of many departments that issue their officers fully automatic weapons. Coral Gables PD, City of Miami PD, and Miami Beach PD aere but a few of the departments that issue fully automatic weapons to their patrol officers.

I do a lot of my hunting in Oklahoma, the Oklahoma State Game Wardens have Mil-Surp M14 battle rifles as their patrol rifle. That is one sweet rifle for patrol work.

Anyways, many agencies issue their officers brand new M16. Also the Federal Government gives smaller agencies used military M16s. FDLE (Florida's chief law enforcement agency) just recieved some XM16 rifles. That's right XM16, those were the test rifles that the military used before the M16 was fully adopted.

I now that the Sig Sauer 552 Rifle is also a popular rifle for some PDs. Also some officers are issued 9mm carbines like the Colt RO639 (9mm M16) or the H&K MP5.

Hell, my department issues some of it's officers the GLOCK 18 Machine Pistol.

Hialeah PD just ordered twenty brand new FN FN2000 rifles. I played with one of those, that is also one sweet little carbine.

Anyways, Police Agencies can issue what ever they want. The 1986 Machine Gun ban doesn't effect any government agency, whether it's city, county, state, or federal.

Back