Weapons.

you have to specify.. do you mean Americans in the Military or American civilians? and this is just for the record "every 13seconds a gun stops a crime in america" -NRA thats one of the main reasons that i believe americans shuold be allowed carrying firearms, if it were up to me i think every citizen shuold recieve a gun, this way crime would dramatically drop becuase would you want to break into a house where you know there is going to be guns pointed right back at ya??? or an unarmed household...... makes perfect sense.

Italian Guy said:
Why do americans believe that they should easily carry weapons?

with no disrespect...shouldn't the question be: why can't i carry weapons as easily as the americans?

all i am saying is i think it should be a right simply because of the things i see ppl do everytime i turn on the news

Airborne Eagle said:
Because it's a right we've had for centuries.

Yes, because it's the Second Amendment to the Constitusion.

Why can't you carry a firearm in your conutry? Whom knows. Your country could be a Monarchy, Dictatorship, Anarchy, ect... America's is a Republic/Democracy. For the people, by the people, of the people.

Look at you sig ItalianMan and tell me what it says, thats the same reason Americans have guns. As the Jews that where alive living in Germany during WWII what Hitler took away first " Their guns."

Jefferson put that in the Constitution so that the American citizens could bear arms to protect their rights from a tyranical government.

But it is very difficult to amend the Constitution. We've only had 27 amendments in the Constitution since 1789, ten of those being the Bill of Rights. And amending a right as popular as the right to bear arms would be quite difficult. Look at what happened when we banned alcohol.

Some Americans believe and say "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers".

In general, guns are not a problem here unless a few idiots are careless, or the holder of the gun is a criminal.

But every state, recently, that has promoted and allowed concealed weapons permits, has had a dramatic decrease in violent crime without the need to have those weapons used in most cases.

The right to bear arms is one reason I took an oath to defend the constitution and acquire USA citizenship. I renounced my citizenship from Canada.

I am a regular person of the USA..

mdvaden said:
But every state, recently, that has promoted and allowed concealed weapons permits, has had a dramatic decrease in violent crime without the need to have those weapons used in most cases.

Actually, CCW (Carrying Concealed Weapons) permits might be allowed in most states, but that doesn't mean they will give it to you. I have lived in two states, Hawaii and Maryland, which both allow CCW permits, assuming you can get one. But they don't just hand them out if you apply for them.

Maybe they like me more than than some people... :cheers:

[LOL]

Anyway, in Oregon, if you have no crime record, are a citizen and take a weapons safety class, that covers most of it. It's about $60. I got the OR license about 8 years ago.

Washington is about the same cost or a bit less, and last I knew, they will issue one to Oregonians. I plan to get the WA license next spring.

The time I usually carry is when I hike, because whereas most people take the beaten path, I leave the trail about 1/3 of the way into the forest to hike and take photos. Often I am alone for several hours at a time.

The forest is not all that bad, but I think the hidden Marajuana patches can be hazardous if those are gaurded. I hear there's a few "infidels" sneaking a few patches in some isolated areas.

I must be the new "cowboy" in here - just registered, and my avatar and signature don't display.

So, I'll edit add this:

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
http://www.mdvaden.com

:cowb:

Well can see why you would need a gun in a forest, but i think the Q. is why do Americans feel they have the right to have a gun

One thing I consider - historically, calamity has come when it's not expected.

It's nice to assume that the military can handle our fighting problems. But, if problems ever generated globally, or internally, that the military did not have manpower to cover, I'd be more than willing to do what I need to do.

Also - just average crime control - police are not obligated by law to protect citizens. They probably will if it's available, but generally they come to crime scenes after the fact. Some people indicate that police offer provide the service of a historian, recording the event after the fact.

The average police response time to an emergency call is about 5 minutes. I think that may be a significant reason that many people want a gun.

And it would be unwise to wait for the emergency to find out that a gun should have been on hand earlier.

And possibly likewise to prepare for attacks on US communities from outside or inside the borders.

These are a few things that came to remembrance.

Another thing that comes to mind - there are quite a few people that want guns, but are unwilling to pay the money or take the time to get proper training and practice.

Out of my own spere of acquaintance, most people I know do not go to a range to practice nor do they rotate the magazines in their weapons to maintain the spring tension. Only one friend routinely maintains his weapons and practices.

My theory is, if you can't put your gun in "red" condition and reload it blindfolded, you have not practiced enough. "you" means "them" not you if you know what I mean.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
http://www.mdvaden.com

funny you mention that. a friend of mine and i were just talking about who could field strip their gun blind folded and put it together the quickest. btw, our gf's think we're crazy.

but i believe in maintaining the weapon that you plan on defending yourself with. the last thing you want is a mechanical failure when FUBAR happens. but the problem is just because you own a gun, doesn't mean you can effectively use it. some of the hardest type of shooting is done in CQB. you'll be surprised at how difficult it can be to hit a human size object 10 ft away when they are also trying to kill you. that's why they say leave it up to the police. there is the assumption that they can handle the situation without violence. and if violence is neccessary, they can use it in a correct manner.

Thanks for sharing that.

In my own case, there are several reasons why I practice reloading in the dark (I don't use a blindfold, but I keep my eyes clamped shut)

Some civilian confrontations are are night - like many. Muzzle flash can be blinding. Also, if a confrontation occurs in the dark, I may as well be blindfolded partially.

In Oregon, the minimum class to get a carry permit is a one night class. I'm glad I paid for a longer course. The instructor has us fire round after round after round, in the light, in the dark, right hand / left hand, still and moving targets. He even had us leave our weapons on the deck and run, grab and fire. Much better than sitting though just a lecture. It put a pinch on my pocket book to fire about $200 worth of rounds, but I don't mind now.

There were a few women in the class too, and they did very well.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon
http://www.mdvaden.com [looking forward to when my signature engages]

there are a few gun manufacturers and other companies that teach close quarter/self defense handgun courses that last longer than just a couple of hours. i'm looking forward to attending one when i get the chance. best part is they will issue you a weapon and ammo. so you don't need a thing.

Actually all Americans cannot carry a concealed weapon legally if they are a known felon, mentally of not a sound mind, arrested for drugs, arrested for spousel abuse, lied on your CCW Application, cannot pass the Finger Printing, or just about any other criminal act one has been arrested.

If you really want to find out how to legally carry a concealed weapon in your state visit http://www.packing.org/

[/url]

Back