The weapon of a USMC infantry officer

Good attitude - you'll have plenty of time to pick your designator when you get there - that's what summer cruises are for. Well, that and beach time...:)

I think you better listen to c/commander on that. There is a Marine Selection at USNA and they are very strict on it, not everyone who wants to be a Marine can be one. The Corps kinda funny like that. So if you don't have a working knowledge of Marine Officer Selection Pipe down.

what i meant was the Naval Academy is not strict on the 1/6 rule ,yes you must go to Leatherneck and if you preform well enough you will be allowed to be a Marine Corps officer, What i was saying is their can be more than 1/6 of that class go into the Marine Corps and you wont have to compete for grades , etc.

Also the Aviation program is VERY competitive as previously stated.

And you shouldnt really worry about the weapon training during Plebe Summer they teach you small arms.

what i meant was the Naval Academy is not strict on the 1/6 rule ,yes you must go to Leatherneck and if you preform well enough you will be allowed to be a Marine Corps officer, What i was saying is their can be more than 1/6 of that class go into the Marine Corps and you wont have to compete for grades , etc.

I know what you meant, and you were wrong. :?

The Marines have upped the number accepted due to the requirements of going to a 220,000-Marine force. 1/6th is the base number. If the USMC changes it, they change it, but that doesn't mean they're being less selective. The credo is (paraphrased): "we will not sacrifice quality for quantity." And if you're relying on relaxed standards to get into the Marines, you're doing it wrong.

Your link doesn't tell me anything other than 113 men get picked. No mention of the 200+ folks that were comissioned due to shortages.

The Marines have upped the number accepted due to the requirements of going to a 220,000-Marine force. 1/6th is the base number. If the USMC changes it, they change it, but that doesn't mean they're being less selective. The credo is (paraphrased): "we will not sacrifice quality for quantity." And if you're relying on relaxed standards to get into the Marines, you're doing it wrong.

This is how it works^^^^^^^^. The number allowed to be commisioned from USNA is set by DON. When the Corps expands the allowable commisions expand in kind.

In the USNA Class of 2008, their were 1047 Graduates the number that went into the Marine Corps was 215 Men and women in ground career choices and aviation, 1/6 of 1047 is 175, i am right about this.

I'm pretty sure C/Commander is way more up to speed on the commissioning process and allowable numbers than me, and I'm postive that he's way more up to speed on than you. So drop it.

You're all guessing.

Good advice on the few people who are suggesting that trying to 'get comfortable' with a service rifle as a bad idea. Everyone is slightly different when it comes to finding your aiming points and shooting positions and that's why you should wait till a Markmenship Coach is over you to try and get familiar. 'Getting comfortable' sounds like making yourself complacent and unaware that you got something that deals death at the end of your hand. Go kill a hog with a spear if you want to get a better mentality to 'operate' with. Just my advice. I went to the Naval Academy in 2003 and graduated as a Lieutenant of Marines in 2007. You'll never share that OCS experience with your counterparts in the Marines; and frankly, it's because the Academy does have low standards... something for a different thread perhaps. But, the Academy did send Lt's to OCS after USNA in the mid-90's. The alarming dropout rate caused a black eye on the institute and in-fighting with the DON because those drops were rolled back into the Navy as SWO's. Standards don't dictate what you achieve as an individual or as a member of a group there. So, it's not for everyone. I don't regret going. You get credibility later in your career because of the connections you make, but it's rougher as a junior officer because of all the stigma's attached. You'll make a name for yourself with your performance, regardless of commissioning source and that what counts in the end. So, when it comes to which you choose, it's all about what you can live with and what you want out of it.

As far as everyone wondering about his "1/6" thing, I wouldn't worry about it. While the DON dictates quotas for the Marines, they make exceptions and if you're capable of being a successful Marine Officer the Marines at the Academy are going to see to it that you get your shot. The only people I knew who got turned down in the four years I was there were the screw-ups and incompetents that got in off of high SAT scores and good recommendations. The Marines are selective. But, I'd say in the last 6 years it hasn't been a problem to fit all qualified candidates into the Marines from a graduating class. It will be more selective for you, regardless of your path, with the economy falling out and the war in Iraq drawing to a close (I come home in the next week), you can expect to see a down size and lowered retention throughout the ranks.

Devil0402
USNA 07

Last edited:
Back