Wealth Redistribution - I am going to try this.

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote
Obama, I need the money." I laughed. Once in the restaurant my server had
on a "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political
preference -- just imagine the coincidence. When the bill came I decided
not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama
redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told
him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in
need--the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight. I
went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server
inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was
grateful.

At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized
the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter
was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even though the
actual recipient deserved money more. I guess redistribution of wealth is an
easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.
Any way, it's fun being retired and trying to follow the Obama Plan... I
always like to be in front on everything...

Haha. That's a good one.

I got a similar one to this in my eMail the other day. A 6 year-old was helping out her very liberal parents giving out Obama signs and such...and there conservative neighbor came over and talked to the little girl about learning a lesson on politics.

He offered her a job to clean up his yard and do some small tasks and he said he'd pay her $50 dollars at the end of the day.

After her work was done, he pulled out the $50 and they walked down to the corner store and they saw a homeless man. He gave the $50 dollars to the homeless man explaining to the girl about Obama's taxing plan and she looked up at him confused and angry and asked, "Why doesn't he just do the work himself?"

The neighbors still haven't spoken to him.

:p

Well it does look like he'll be the next President so what I say is, if he's voted President, show him your support regardless of what your party is. Until the next election that is. And next election doesn't mean "two years after the guy is elected." I know there is an election during that time but it's not Presidential so ... you know what I mean.
Even if you don't like him, if he's voted, give the guy a chance.

Email or not, it does highlight another problem.

but the waiter
was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn
I ask, how so? The waiter was on the pay roll of the restaurant, and as such was paid by his employer for doing his job.

The whole idea of "tipping" is anathema to me. It was once given to an occasional person who performed his job or another act of kindness or similar, above and beyond the expectations of his position. Now it is seemingly part of the service.

Email or not, it does highlight another problem.

I ask, how so? The waiter was on the pay roll of the restaurant, and as such was paid by his employer for doing his job.

The whole idea of "tipping" is anathema to me. It was once given to an occasional person who performed his job or another act of kindness or similar, above and beyond the expectations of his position. Now it is seemingly part of the service.

I think the problem comes when you start paying people the absolute minimum wage so that they have to rely on tips to make a decent wage.

I have always found it hard to grasp the tipping process but then coming from a country that doesnt have tipping (probably a good thing because most restaurants in this country regard service as a term used in tennis) it is always one of the more amusing aspects of eating out overseas.

Maybe, but tipping still should not be 100% manditory.
If I don't feel like it, I shouldn't have to pay it. Or else, just add it as "service charge" and cut away the nonsense about being a "tip."

Service charge be damned. You generally pay through the nose for what is often very ordinary service anyway at most "Restaurants", if their staff need paying it's the bosses job to pay them not mine.

If I buy a motor vehicle, or anything else for that matter, I pay my money and go, I don't then turn around and slip the salesman 10% for the privilege of parting with my money.

It's the most stupid idea I've ever heard of.

If anyone should ask me for a tip, I would tell him, "to be kind to his mother", or in a public toilet, "Always check that there's enough paper before you sit down"

hahaha that's a good one and a good point as well.
Don't know. I guess it's a larger problem in a smaller place. We feel entitled to rewards that belong to those who do the extra 10% even when we put in only 70%. The "everyone's a winner" mentality I guess.
Heck. Off a $100 purchase I think the restaurant actually makes about a $5 profit or so while the waiter would get $10 or $15 in tip for making a sale of that value.

Service charge be damned. You generally pay through the nose for what is often very ordinary service anyway at most "Restaurants", if their staff need paying it's the bosses job to pay them not mine.

If I buy a motor vehicle, or anything else for that matter, I pay my money and go, I don't then turn around and slip the salesman 10% for the privilege of parting with my money.

It's the most stupid idea I've ever heard of.

If anyone should ask me for a tip, I would tell him, "to be kind to his mother", or in a public toilet, "Always check that there's enough paper before you sit down"

Hey it isn't me you have to convince, I am a Kiwi tipping is foreign to us.

However I have heard the counter argument often enough by now to be able to repeat it, tipping is designed to:
- Allow restaurants to list lower prices (due to lower wages).
- Encourage their waiting staff to do a better job in order to get the tip.
- Allow the customer to "reward" above average service with a greater tip.

I have always considered it a somewhat false economy because in 99% of cases it is just a %15 service charge.

340647458.jpg

Hey it isn't me you have to convince, I am a Kiwi tipping is foreign to us.
It's largely foreign to Australians too, but is found in the "upper end" food service industry

However I have heard the counter argument often enough by now to be able to repeat it, tipping is designed to:
- Allow restaurants to list lower prices (due to lower wages).
= allows the employer to pay lower wages by telling the staff, they will make it up in (nearly always unearned) tips.
- Encourage their waiting staff to do a better job in order to get the tip.
In every other job it is expected that employees do their absolute best,... or it was "out the door" Or in this case treat the customers like kings, they are the people that keep you employed, no customers,... no job.
- Allow the customer to "reward" above average service with a greater tip.
That is fine if the service is above what is expected, but seeing my patronage is keeping them employed, their service should be exemplary just as a matter of course.

I have always considered it a somewhat false economy because in 99% of cases it is just a %15 service charge.
"Service Charge",... why should the customer pay for the privilege of parting with his money? It's certainly not the norm in any other industry that I deal with.

It would be the same if shops demanded an entry payment for customers to come in and buy their goods.

Yeah there is no tip here and generally the service is better than what you'll find in the US.
I remember this one time when me and my buddies didn't have the right change to make 15% and we ended up somewhere around giving a 10%. The waiter jackass rejected it and gave it right back. His service wasn't even good. Arrogant schmuck actually... quite an attitude for someone wiping tables.

Back