Do we still have a Naval Base in Kenitra Morrocco?

I was a dependent in the early 70's
My family was stationed in Kenitra, Morrocco

Anybody know if we still have a base there?

When we took our 30 days, we visited Southern Europe, in 73 I visited Italy during the elections (the ones the commies one)

The Navy pulled all my wisdom teeth.. all 4 at the same time!
I'll never forget what it was like to be in another country.

Moved your thread from the welcoming centre, since it's probably easier to get an answer to yout question in here.. ;)

I was a dependent in the early 70's
My family was stationed in Kenitra, Morrocco

Anybody know if we still have a base there?

When we took our 30 days, we visited Southern Europe, in 73 I visited Italy during the elections (the ones the commies one)

The Navy pulled all my wisdom teeth.. all 4 at the same time!
I'll never forget what it was like to be in another country.

Apparently it was closed in the mid-70s...

http://www.portlyautey.com/

U. S. Naval Air Station, Port Lyautey, Kenitra, Morocco​
Kenitra (Arabic name transliterated: Al-Qonaitirah, the little bridge)​

Dedicated to the U.S. Naval Airmen, Seabees, Ship’s Company and U.S. Marines who served at the Naval Air Station In Kenitra (Port Lyautey) or at the Naval Communication Facilities in Sidi Yahia or Sidi Bouknadel, Morocco, between the early 1940's to the base closures in the mid 1970's.

I'm actually in Morroco, in Rabat, 40km from Kenitra. And I was told that there is no US base over there anymore...

And it was a pretty bad idea. Kenitra area is dying right now. No economy, no growth... Nothing... In the era of the US base, there was dollars moving around...

But the independance party wanted to do something to justify their existance ^^

2nd Guard Company Bouknadel Morocco

I was stationed there from 77 - 79 and know first hand the bases did not close down until late 79 almost 1980 as he Marines I left behind locked the place down after I left.

Back