Are we ignorant about the world?

View Poll Results :How many Americans have graduated in 2001 with degrees in Arabic Language or Studies?
9 5 38.46%
99 5 38.46%
999 1 7.69%
9999 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 6th, 2006  
boris116

Topic: Are we ignorant about the world?

Many people throughout the world think the Americans dont give a damn about other peoples culture, history, customs, etc.

I would hope it isn't true.

However, I have read a lot of fiction books about the Soviet Union/Russia and I haven't seen one without major, no, MAJOR blunders.
They all stink, they are laughable.
I wouldn' even talk about Hollywood here.
Therefore, I suspect that other cultures are represented no better.
How we are going to "lead the World" if we don't know much about it?
Thanks!
March 6th, 2006  
sven hassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
Many people throughout the world think the Americans dont give a damn about other peoples culture, history, customs, etc.

I would hope it isn't true.

However, I have read a lot of fiction books about the Soviet Union/Russia and I haven't seen one without major, no, MAJOR blunders.
They all stink, they are laughable.
I wouldn' even talk about Hollywood here.
Therefore, I suspect that other cultures are represented no better.
How we are going to "lead the World" if we don't know much about it?
Thanks!

Not 'Other Peoples'
April 1st, 2006  
LeEnfield

As most of the people from these other countries seem to want to live in one of the English speaking countries, should they not learn our way rather than us waste our time learing theirs
--
Boots
April 1st, 2006  
Rob Henderson

yes. period. thats all. thread closed. They want to live in our land, have the same opportunities and rights as we have, then learn to live our way instead of us changing to meet your needs.
April 6th, 2006  
tomtom22

Topic: On target!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
As most of the people from these other countries seem to want to live in one of the English speaking countries, should they not learn our way rather than us waste our time learing theirs
As usual, LeEnfield is right on target. I couldn't agree more.
April 6th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:

lol, the key word here is "fiction." If you're looking for accuracy, fiction is not the place to look.
April 6th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
How many Americans have graduated in 2001 with degrees in Arabic Language or Studies?
How could we know?
April 11th, 2006  
Damien435

Why would anyone graduate with a degree in Arabic Language? It's a dead end major, even fewer options than my major, History.

BTW Sven, if memory serves me correct blankets infected with Small Pox weren't actually given to the Indians and even if they were it wouldn't do much. Europeans were already carrying all sorts of illnesses that the Indians had no immunities too. Why were the Americas so empty when the English arrived? Because over 20 million Indians had died from diseases introduced to them by the Spanish a century earlier.
April 11th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
My my, aren't we full of our Anglo-Saxon selves? We could do with a little less generalization. I am not from an English speaking country and I wish to remain where I am..... and so many many of my friends, relatives, collegues etc. (Wow, that felt good nitpicking like that )
April 13th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Agree with LeEnfield.