Are we ignorant about the world?

How many Americans have graduated in 2001 with degrees in Arabic Language or Studies?

Votes: 5 38.5%

Votes: 5 38.5%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

boris116

Many people throughout the world think the Americans dont give a damn about other peoples culture, history, customs, etc.

I would hope it isn't true.

However, I have read a lot of fiction books about the Soviet Union/Russia and I haven't seen one without major, no, MAJOR blunders.
They all stink, they are laughable.
I wouldn' even talk about Hollywood here.
Therefore, I suspect that other cultures are represented no better.
How we are going to "lead the World" if we don't know much about it?
Thanks!

Last edited:
boris116 said:
Many people throughout the world think the Americans dont give a damn about other peoples culture, history, customs, etc.

I would hope it isn't true.

However, I have read a lot of fiction books about the Soviet Union/Russia and I haven't seen one without major, no, MAJOR blunders.
They all stink, they are laughable.
I wouldn' even talk about Hollywood here.
Therefore, I suspect that other cultures are represented no better.
How we are going to "lead the World" if we don't know much about it?
Thanks!

Not 'Other Peoples'
T001506A.jpg

As most of the people from these other countries seem to want to live in one of the English speaking countries, should they not learn our way rather than us waste our time learing theirs

yes. period. thats all. thread closed. They want to live in our land, have the same opportunities and rights as we have, then learn to live our way instead of us changing to meet your needs.

On target!

LeEnfield said:
As most of the people from these other countries seem to want to live in one of the English speaking countries, should they not learn our way rather than us waste our time learing theirs
As usual, LeEnfield is right on target. I couldn't agree more.

lol, the key word here is "fiction." If you're looking for accuracy, fiction is not the place to look.

Why would anyone graduate with a degree in Arabic Language? It's a dead end major, even fewer options than my major, History.

BTW Sven, if memory serves me correct blankets infected with Small Pox weren't actually given to the Indians and even if they were it wouldn't do much. Europeans were already carrying all sorts of illnesses that the Indians had no immunities too. Why were the Americas so empty when the English arrived? Because over 20 million Indians had died from diseases introduced to them by the Spanish a century earlier.

Last edited:
LeEnfield said:

My my, aren't we full of our Anglo-Saxon selves? We could do with a little less generalization. I am not from an English speaking country and I wish to remain where I am..... and so many many of my friends, relatives, collegues etc. (Wow, that felt good nitpicking like that :))

Damien435 said:
. . .

BTW Sven, if memory serves me correct blankets infected with Small Pox weren't actually given to the Indians and even if they were it wouldn't do much. Europeans were already carrying all sorts of illnesses that the Indians had no immunities too. Why were the Americas so empty when the English arrived? Because over 20 million Indians had died from diseases introduced to them by the Spanish a century earlier.

And for more involved reading:
Amherst and Smallpox
http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/lord_jeff.html
http://www.college.ucla.edu/webproject/micro12/webpages/indianssmallpox.html
http://tim.2wgroup.com/blog/archives/000889.html
http://brneurosci.org/smallpox.html
http://hal.lamar.edu/~browntf/Churchill1.htm

:hide:

Last edited:
LeEnfield said:

This shows the principle why USA going to fall like the Roman Empire, when they try to conquer the world.... :rock: :) :p

hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield

This shows the principle why USA going to fall like the Roman Empire, when they try to conquer the world.... :rock: :smile: :p

hahaha

I dont think this shows a desire to conquer the world... I think it just shows a desire to preserve American culture in America, and not having to adapt to minority cultures.

To be honest, I think that everyone is a least a little ignorant about the rest of the world. Is America more ignorant than other countries? Not a chance.

Last edited:
Exactly how much effort should be put into having US students learn about other cultures? The US educational system is hard pressed enough to graduate kids who can read and do basic math. Is world history as taught throughout the 12 grades enough? Should there be a period a day of the study of "Other Peoples?" What should these studies consist of? Religion? Culture? History? What should be taught that isn't already?'

Really, this is what college is for. It allows those who want to branch out beyond a "basic" education the opportunity to do so. If modern Asian history is your bag, then there are classes for it. If ancient Middle Eastern history is your bag, then there are classes for it.

LeEnfield said:

Somehow I didn't see that quoted on the Green Card application LMAO!!

Damn must of missed it.;)

Ok, not a fan of multiculturalism then.

All in all I don't find yankees stupid.

Stubborn, pig headed, one minded, loud, brassy, salty, and cheeky, but no not stupid.

Or is that just my Marine , don't know hard to tell.:lol:

Back