Are we fighting in the wrong place?

Most Pakistanis are bright, noble, secular, reasonable, friendly people. Taliban, with their limited and shrinking resources, will NEVER take control of that country, ever! The west just needs to keep supporting the government of Pakistan and make sure that the "threat" of Taliban is always contained and kept under control. Unfortunately, it seems China is doing a MUCH better job at making friends with the Pakistanis than we are.

Most Pakistanis are bright, noble, secular, reasonable, friendly people. Taliban, with their limited and shrinking resources, will NEVER take control of that country, ever!

Huh?
What are your sources?
I´m not saying you are wrong, but what are you basing this on?

Most Pakistanis are bright, noble, secular, reasonable, friendly people. Taliban, with their limited and shrinking resources, will NEVER take control of that country, ever! The west just needs to keep supporting the government of Pakistan and make sure that the "threat" of Taliban is always contained and kept under control. Unfortunately, it seems China is doing a MUCH better job at making friends with the Pakistanis than we are.

Religions:Muslim 97% (Sunni 77%, Shi'a 20%), Christian, Hindu, and other 3%

Literacy:definition: age 15 and over can read and write

total population: 42.7%

male: 55.3%

female: 29% (1998)

http://pakistan.saarctourism.org/people-of-pakistan.html

Huh?
What are your sources?
Personal opinion based on one-on-one interaction (academic & work related) with actual Pakistani friends and colleagues ever since the university years, and on what I've heard from them in regards to how they view their country, the region and their future.

Whether I'm right or wrong, only time can tell. Not you, not anyone else.

I didn´t tell you you were wrong now did I?
In fact I specifically said and I quote: "I´m not saying you are wrong, but what are you basing this on?"

I thought that was clear?
Incase you missed that I didn´t mean to hurt your feelings in any way shape or form.
Nor those of your Pakistani friends.

What do they think about their goverment letting the Taliban reside inside their borders?
What do they think about them getting a safe haven up north?
How do they feel about the quite harsh sharia laws having a rather firm hold over the western and northern parts of their nation.

Is this something you have discussed with them and if so, what is their take on all this?

And to be quite frank, neither can you say that you are either right or wrong.
That´s why it´s called future right?

And to be quite frank, neither can you say that you are either right or wrong.
I tought I made that point clear when I said only 'time' could tell whether I'm right or wrong.

I'm really not interested in discussing the whole Pakistani subject in depth, at least not now and not with you. I simply shared my opinion and I quite frankly couldn't care less what you personally think about it.

Pakistan 'to eliminate militants'

Pakistan's PM says he has ordered the army to "eliminate militants and terrorists", apparently referring to operations against the Taleban. Yusuf Raza Gilani made the announcement in an evening TV address to the nation.

Fighting has intensified in recent days in the Swat Valley and other parts of the north-west, and thousands of civilians are leaving the area.
US defence secretary Robert Gates earlier said he was satisfied with Pakistan's anti-Taleban moves.

At least 10 soldiers have been killed in the fighting in the past 24 hours, the military says.

Appeal for help
Mr Gilani said efforts by the militants to disrupt peace and security had reached a point where the government had to take "decisive steps".
"In order to restore honour and dignity of our homeland, and to protect people, the armed forces have been called to eliminate the militants and terrorists," he said.

He also appealed to the international community to help Pakistan look after people displaced by the fighting.

A curfew has been lifted to allow civilians to leave Swat, prompting thousands to flee and join those already in camps or staying with relatives further south. But around half a million people remain in Mingora, the main town of Swat, where there is no water or electricity. The International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) says the humanitarian crisis in Pakistan is intensifying.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8038975.stm

If the Pakistani government could snap its fingers and get rid of the Taliban and other Militant Islamist groups in its borders it would do so.
Even when the British controlled Pakistan (when it was part of India) nobody could control the border area between what we now call Pakistan and Afghanistan. It is an area of perpetual instability. It is likely to remain so long after we start getting our social security checks.

Afghanistan is of little strategic importance to the US. I think maybe we can come to an informal agreement with the Taliban and bring the boys home. George Bush the First was rumored to have such a modus vivendi. With the US going broke and the spectre of people starving in the streets here in America it makes little sense to carry on a war of adventure in Northwest Asia when we can't even control the Mexican border

Huh?
What are your sources?

I only have one source, thats from dealing with Pakistani pilots and ground crew that they sent to learn from us here , those guys were among the best people I have ever met.

Back