As We Enter Year 6 Of The War In Iraq

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Times
March 21, 2008
To the Editor:
Re “Marking 5 Years, Bush Insists U.S. Must Win in Iraq” (front page, March 20) and “Mission Still Not Accomplished” (editorial, March 20):
As a soldier during my first 12-month tour with the 101st Airborne Division, as I sat in my chemical suit in Iraq, I truly believed that our chain of command believed in the W.M.D. threat. Regardless, let’s look forward and stop with the conspiracy theories.
We need to continue with our current operation, an operation that will increase stability in a volatile area of the world and help us protect ourselves before we are again attacked in America.
Pulling out in January 2009 is not a physically viable or strategically intelligent solution.
Leaving this war without leaving a permanent, safe and secure environment is not only irresponsible, but it also undermines the almost 4,000 service members who sacrificed for a noble and worthy cause.
In this war against Islamic extremism, as a country, we must show unified resolve. Militant Muslims thrive on our division and use it as propaganda against us. I am willing to leave my country, my family and risk my life to protect us from terrorist attacks and having to fear attacks in our country. I prefer to seek them out rather than wait for them to attack us.
For those not serving and sitting on the sidelines, what are you willing to do? How about actively supporting me and my fellow service members and perhaps volunteering in other domestic areas that during this time are being neglected?
I hope the majority of my fellow citizens agree with me, and we can fight terrorism together.
Pete Wilson, Fort Leavenworth, Kan., March 20, 2008
The writer is a major in the United States Army.

Back