Watercolors

Wow, love the artwork guys. Can we get an Apache or something? That'd be awesome!

Thanks CooperDan,

I'm a little better with people than equipment but here is my latest effort: a monochrome sketch of an Apache. This is one ugly machine but I'm glad it's on our side. :salute:

Bob

You talented buggers make me jealous.

I can't draw a straight line that anyone would recognise as such.

Yep I am the same given that the stick man is about as complex I can get and I failed at playing the recorder at primary school I will stick to process engineering it is far easier.

Hehe I like these images, I get to spend time scouring the net for the original picture to see how close it is.
I assume you have trimmed the left hand side of the picture for this one?

800px-British_infantry_advancing_at_Loos_25_September_1915.jpg

Wow! You are good. I was so taken by this photo (at first I thought it was a painting) that I wanted to give it a try. It's a great picture.

Here's the un-cropped painting:

Last edited:
Wow! You are good. I was so taken by this photo (at first I thought it was a painting) that I wanted to give it a try. It's a great picture.

Here's the un-cropped painting:

The original image is stored at the Imperial War Museum the photo was taken by a soldier of the London Rifle Brigade on the opening day of the Battle of Loos from the British trenches.

loos_zpsa6abdff6.jpg

I think the original shows more detail than the one I posted earlier.

How the hell you could take a photo during a gas attack is beyond me though.

Last edited:
I'm not so keen on this one, I think that maybe you might need to work on your horse a bit, it looks very "stilted" and standing unnaturally. I don't know what the original was like, but he also has a Donkey head.

Take this criticism as coming from a bloke who cant draw a straight line.

Last edited:
I'm not so keen on this one, I think that maybe you might need to work on your horse a bit, it looks very "stilted" and standing unnaturally. I don't know what the original was like, but he also has a Donkey head.

I always take honest criticism well. Needless to say I need to work on my horses. I like the photo that this sketch was based on because of the poise of the horse. But the execution missed the mark.

Thanks for the comments - I appreciate the feedback.
Bob

My criticism may not necessarily be well founded artistically, but yes, I it is as honest as I can make it.
Otherwise I really like your style, it's quite distinctive and has an air of old time realism about it.

Here is a free hand sketch of an Austin-Putilov armored car. The subject photo showed the care at an angle so I attempted to extrapolate what the side view would look like. I'm not a draftsman so going forward I may need to employ a ruler and something to get the tires right.

Austin-Putilovarmoredcar_zps840e3381.jpg

I am wondering whether the problem is not one of perspective, for some reason I get the impression that the horses head is closer to us than its arse end as the guy is mounted in the right position and the distance ratio from the rider to the horses tail seems right but the section in front of the rider seems to be out of proportion in this case short.

In most "side on" pictures it would appear that the ratio is 1/3 rider to tail, 2/3 rider to nose.

I am wondering whether the problem is not one of perspective, for some reason I get the impression that the horses head is closer to us than its arse end as the guy is mounted in the right position and the distance ratio from the rider to the horses tail seems right but the section in front of the rider seems to be out of proportion in this case short.

In most "side on" pictures it would appear that the ratio is 1/3 rider to tail, 2/3 rider to nose.
Not having an artistic bone in my body, I hesitate to comment as to the proportion, however I do agree that the horse looks somewhat "light on" in the rear which my lead to the illusion that it is further away. There is also the matter of the rear hoof being higher indicating that it is further away.

I also think that regardless of the original, it might help if the front feet were pulled back a bit as it looks like he is propping (refusing to move forward) and at least part of another leg were visible as the present view gives me the distinct impression that the horse only has two legs. A mounted horse standing absolutely "dead square" is a fairly rare sight.

Last edited:
Back