Watercolors

I'm weak (among other things) in the background department. I am trying to improve my landscaping skills with this picture. I realize it is not a military picture but one could imagine it being a preserved battlefield (which it is not).

WinterTreebyCleary_zps5d7198f4.jpg

I like it, you can see what everything is meant to be without over loading on detail, the colouring matches the tree and the tree is surprisingly detailed and gives the impression of the time being around autumn.

hehe given the number of paintings you have produced in your short time here I am not surprised that you have reached an impasse.

Have you looked at doing more WW1/2 battlefield scenes as I think you do them very well?

hehe given the number of paintings you have produced in your short time here I am not surprised that you have reached an impasse.

Have you looked at doing more WW1/2 battlefield scenes as I think you do them very well?

Good idea - time for me to start scanning for photos.

It is odd to see an AT gun without the protective shield, not sure I would be happy using one given how close to the action and how exposed you would have to be.

It is odd to see an AT gun without the protective shield, not sure I would be happy using one given how close to the action and how exposed you would have to be.

I'm not sure if it was the angle of the camera or how the shield was deployed but not much was exposed for me to paint. The subject picture was very grainy so I could not tell if parts had been retracted (if that is even possible). My lack of knowledge on towed weapons is coming back to haunt me. :?

Not all AT guns had them, some of the early US 37mm's for example didn't but they were added later.

Here's a quick sketch of a US Rifleman:

See I think this is your strength, the image imparts exactly what it says it does.

The hard part for the likes of myself is that we know little of the Civil War or Revolutionary wars and being "American" only they really don't hold any attachment for the non-US readers where as the world wars do.

Last edited:
See I think this is your strength, the image imparts exactly what it says it does.

The hard part for the likes of myself is that we know little of the Civil War or Revolutionary wars and being "American" only they really don't hold any attachment for the non-US readers where as the world wars do.

I had not thought about that but I must agree. I have little connection with the English Civil War so there would be no emotional response to pictures or art related to that subject.

I had not thought about that but I must agree. I have little connection with the English Civil War so there would be no emotional response to pictures or art related to that subject.

It would not be an issue if you were doing great sweeping vista's or large scale "action" orientated battles but most of what you have done are snap shot pieces which I think require us to have some knowledge of the event to really understand it.
Because of this I think it leaves us in a position to only comment on the artistry and not the context.

Back