Watercolors

My next victim: Ulysses S Grant.

Grant1_zps64ebd8d5.jpg

I wouldn't describe him as a victim, he would be a victim if I had painted him.
The portraits are easily identifiable and good likenesses.

Here is a quick five-minute portrait exercise - just a pencil (no eraser or ink) and some watercolor for affect.

CSAPrivate4_zps0ea9b888.jpg

Gettysburg Road:

You know I was going to criticise this painting until I sat and thought about it a bit and realised that it reminded of the section of road just before the museum when you drive in from the north.

I don't remember the monument being there but it has been 6 or 7 years since I was there.

You know I was going to criticise this painting until I sat and thought about it a bit and realised that it reminded of the section of road just before the museum when you drive in from the north.

I don't remember the monument being there but it has been 6 or 7 years since I was there.

Thanks Monty -

The Gettysburg Road was out of my skill zone but it's all part of the learning process. I like the colors and the statue did not come out too bad.

Bob

This one seems to be missing to much detail for me.

I'm kind of torn between impression and detail. This was a very quick sketch which is why it's light on the detail. (and a bit too cartoonish for my tastes). I'll give more thought and planing with the next one.

Thanks for the feedback,
Bob

I'm kind of torn between impression and detail. This was a very quick sketch which is why it's light on the detail. (and a bit too cartoonish for my tastes). I'll give more thought and planing with the next one.

Thanks for the feedback,
Bob

My opinion is that no matter what style you are going for you need enough detail for people to understand what you are trying to achieve and it is very difficult with that one.

Compare with this one where you can see exactly what is going on...
Thanks!

Here is an ink sketch with a light wash (Marine climbing a sand dune).

SoldieronBeach.jpg

Last edited:
Back