Watercolors

A French Legionnaire near Hanoi - 1954 (a monochrome study)

1954.jpg

Last edited:
An English Officer is the subject - even after only six months of painting I can pick out details that I could have done better. It's all part of the learning process.

EnglishOfficer.jpg

A non-participant study of a WWI battle field. I used a much ticker paper (140 lbs) which I hear is not so dense for watercolor artists but I was plenty dense for me.

MessinesRidge.jpg

I was so impressed to find a picture of this soldier wearing a bow tie while fighting in a trench that I painted him.

BowTie.jpg

This was one of my first attempts using a military theme. The subject (taken from a photo) depicts a day in the life of a French Trooper living in a trench.

FrenchSoldierWWI.jpg

I tried to capture the deep shadows of this subject, a soldier of the US Constabulary in Germany after 1945.

USColdWarSoldier1949.jpg

Here is a sketch of an exhausted driver of the Red Ball Express. You can't fight the Nazi's unless you've got gas and ammo.

WWIISoldier.jpg

I am not sure it worked with this one, it just seems a little skeletal for my liking.

I wasn't satisfied either; the subject's face shadowed under the helmet made for a great picture but the execution wasn't right. All part of the learning process. Thanks for your comments Monty.

An English Officer is the subject - even after only six months of painting I can pick out details that I could have done better. It's all part of the learning process.

EnglishOfficer.jpg

You artistically talented people give me the sh!ts. :smile:

If I had a quarter of your talent I'd be very pleased with myself. For what it's worth I really like your work, the painting above being my choice so far.

I find some of your faces a bit too "drawn" (not above) but hey, that is the type of thing that denotes an artist's style... keep up the good work.

Last edited:

If I had a quarter of your talent I'd be very pleased with myself. For what it's worth I really like your work, the painting above being my choice so far.

I find some of your faces a bit too "drawn" (not above) but hey, that is the type of thing that denotes an artist's style... keep up the good work.

Thanks - I'm still looking for that elusive style. I'll keep plugging away.

Here are a few quick studies. (the first taken from a photo on Iwo Jima). The second is without ink in an attempt to avoid the "drawn" look you had mentioned.

Attachments

• Marine 2.jpg
    Marine 2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Soldier 4.jpg
    Soldier 4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks - I'm still looking for that elusive style. I'll keep plugging away.

Here are a few quick studies. (the first taken from a photo on Iwo Jima). The second is without ink in an attempt to avoid the "drawn" look you had mentioned.
No, no, no,... that was not the "drawn" I was referring to. I was referring to the shape of the face "long and drawn" as against "rounded" or "full"

I like the ink outlining.

Keep it up,...

I think this one would be my favourite so far...
SoldieronBeach.jpg

Back