Is That Water at Sea Level?

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
THE FRIGATE I SERVED ON held a family cruise off the coast of Southern California, and my "landlubber" mother flew in from Kansas to attend the event and enjoy a weekend of sightseeing. The day before sailing, we toured San Diego and visited Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma. There, from an altitude of 400 feet, we could view San Diego Bay and the vessels transiting the channel. Taking it all in, my mother looked down at the bay and asked, "Now, is all that water at sea level?"

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Troy L. Johnson

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

I guess I can sympathize with her. When I was stationed at Pt. Fermin close to Ft MacArthur in San Pedro, I was walking up a pretty steep hill away from the ocean. It was a clear day and I looked around and saw Santa Catalina Island. I also saw that there was ocean behind it so that it looked like it was sliding down to Cabrillo Beach. That was the strangest illusion I had ever seen being from Texas.

I guess I can sympathize with her. When I was stationed at Pt. Fermin close to Ft MacArthur in San Pedro, I was walking up a pretty steep hill away from the ocean. It was a clear day and I looked around and saw Santa Catalina Island. I also saw that there was ocean behind it so that it looked like it was sliding down to Cabrillo Beach. That was the strangest illusion I had ever seen being from Texas.
Your'e on the level with me, Right?

What air, you mean that brown stuff?
I swear, I was stone sober Tomtom, which was sort of unusual at that time. :coffee:

Back