Water Damage :(

wolfen

Well guys and girls, guess what I woke up to last night. Give up? I'll tell ya
the house has 2 bathrooms (thank God) the front bathroom had a smell liek rot, so I started lurking around, and found some water damage with rotted wood under the bathtub, no biggie, I can fix that easy enough, problem is it goes along the outside wall of the house for 3 rooms and about 5 feet inward in each room, I really think I'm screwed on this one cause I have to tear down 2 walls, replace the water lines drains, the bathtub itself, a cabinet an inner wall the carpet in 2 rooms, the commode, with tank, and the water proof wall that surrounds the shower, and the shower manifold, both upper and lower pipes to the bath.

Right now I feel liek if theirs a God I'm about to meet him, I've been up all night and all day, the only thing on my body that doesn't hurt, is the thumbnail on my right hand.

I am sure you can hit that thumb with a hammer too. :)

Anyway I know what you mean things tend to start small and grow into huge jobs, I found the same thing when renovating part of the parents home, what was going to be a $2000 relining and fixtures upgrade grew into $54000 of rewiring, new plumbing, insulation, metering boards and relining, it reached a point where I was starting to think the problems could only be fixed with a runaway bulldozer but it all worked out in the end and had fun doing it.

I would probably concentrate on stopping things deteriorating and fixing what can be done quickly while planning the bigger stuff for later, maybe it can be done with a few improvements.

Last edited:
I would help you...seriously- but i have to get back to my regiment next week :) and USA is not really next door

Oh sure we are!! Just a hop, skip, and a jump. ;)

I'd love to help! I grew up watching my dad stumble through one remodel after another. I could help you screw things up royally. :mrgreen:

oh I feel your pain. 3 days before I left for training, I discovered my dishwasher had been leaking. Some of my cabinets are rotting where they meet the floor. And this was 2 months after I had the roof replaced because of wind damage. Due to a lack of funds, I was not able to deal with it and will attend to the issue in 2 weeks when I go home for a week

Just curious, what did your insurance cover? My bank account will await your answer

Oh really? I have always heard horror stories when folks actually try to use their insurance for their homes. Very nasty terrorist like organizations those insurance companies. They seem to prefer you suffer than get something for your money.

Oh really? I have always heard horror stories when folks actually try to use their insurance for their homes. Very nasty terrorist like organizations those insurance companies. They seem to prefer you suffer than get something for your money.

The insurance guy comes Monday, if he has no good news for me I might let Misty have him for a chew toy.

Oh just an update the bathroom floor is complete, the new toilet, flange and extension pipe are in, the inner separator wall is back up, and I'll start in bedroom wall here ina few, only a few cabinets and 3 walls left :) Trust me everybody, the parts I have repaired will withstand a 3 megaton nuclear blast LOL.
AND I have only hit my fingers 4 times, thumb 6 times, and theres only 5 cuts on my hands and arms, of which only 1 is deep, but I did spend Thursday night in the hospital cause I found a power wire with old steel case jigsaw I have. I'm ok but I really need a new jigsaw now.

I'd rather have the guys from extreme home makeover show up with a bulldozer and a few semi's from local building suppliers :)
Basically it'd be my luck Tim Allen would show up alone demanding all my coffee.
BTW bathroom cabinet is done for now till the glue dries.

But in Tim Allen's defense, no matter how big the disaster was at the beginning of a project, it always came out fabulous in the end. :D

True, but when ty and the boys show up its usually a bulldozer that starts the process now days :)

Oh bathroom sink is in and works 4.0, another wall is up and will withstand a 2 megaton nuke blast, and the new floor is so solid it hasn't made a single creek, yet :)
Wiring is complete now too

Back