Watchdog blasts China's 'irresponsible' arms trade

SNowblind said:
And why do we trade-let alone have a trade deficit-with these bastards?
maybe you can take a look.
The Uneasy U.S.-Chinese Trade Relationship
Author: Eben Kaplan, Research Associate

April 19, 2006

http://www.cfr.org/publication/10482...ationship.html

Introduction
Ever since Deng Xiaoping ushered in a wave of liberalization in the late 1970s, the world has witnessed a surge in Chinese economic power. Over the last quarter century, China has averaged 9.5 percent growth annually, more than quadrupled its gross domestic product (GDP), and lifted over 400 million of its citizens out of poverty. In 1977, China had the thirtieth-ranked trade volume in the world; in ten years it is projected to be the world's top trading nation; and in fifteen, it will likely have the world's largest GDP.

This rapid rise was aided by the normal trade relations China established with the United States in 1979, and later by China's accession into the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 2001. But U.S.-Chinese trade relations have always been somewhat uneasy; for many years, Congress used an annual review of China's "Most Favored Nation" trading status to link trade liberalization with Beijing's human rights record. More recently, U.S. leaders have begun to worry about a massive trade imbalance that continues to grow. Protectionists in Washington and Beijing have begun to dig in their heels against the powerful economic forces that are changing their nations, while U.S. calls for China to revalue its currency and crack down on counterfeiting have not made much headway.

Trade Volume
A major factor in China's quick rise has been its vigorous trade activity with the United States. Trade volume between the two nations reached $211.6 billion in 2005, more than eighty times the $2.4 billion exchanged in 1979, the year they established normal trade relations. This has accelerated in recent years; from 2001 to 2005, the volume of U.S.-Chinese trade increased an average of 27.4 percent a year. The United States has become the top destination of Chinese merchandise exports and China is buying up more and more U.S. goods, with U.S. exports to China rising 21.5 percent each of the last four years.

Trade Imbalance
In 2005 the United States ran a bilateral trade deficit with China of $202 billion, up from $162 billion the previous year. Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) said in a statement to press that these figures should be "a red flag to the Congress and to the global economy." Many Americans worry the United States is too dependent upon China for its imports, and blame the deficit for the loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs. Despite public fervor, the trade deficit does not have all economists worried. "I personally don't believe the bilateral trade deficit is dangerous for the United States," says Benn Steil, a CFR senior fellow and director of international economics. This is partly because, while China has a massive trade surplus with the United States, its overall trade surplus is not excessively large. Furthermore, the bilateral deficit doesn't take into account products manufactured in China by U.S. and other foreign companies. CFR Senior Fellow Adam Segal says some of the increase in the trade deficit is because "China has replaced all the Asian producers the United States used to import from."

There is some concern the imbalance might not be good for China's economy either. Brookings Fellow Jing Huang told a recent audience that 80 percent of China's GDP is derived from trade, which he cautions is a sign China's economic development is uneven. But Steil says there is no cause for alarm: "That statistic is not that outlandish by international comparison," he says.

Another concern is that, with its focus on exports, China has failed to develop a domestic consumption base. This reliance upon outside markets, warns Huang, has created an "investment bubble," leaving China's economy vulnerable in the event of a downturn in its export markets. But Carnegie Endowment economist Albert Keidel says warnings of an investment bubble are "very loose talk about something that hasn't happened yet."

Many experts say U.S.-Chinese trade relations are generally normal and healthy. Brookings Fellow Jeffrey Bader told a February 16 meeting of the Brookings Council that Chinese exports have had some rather positive effects for the United States. Cheaply manufactured goods have kept inflation low, easing the burden on poor and middle-class consumers. Bader also points out that Chinese investment has helped finance U.S. debt, while U.S. investors have generally profited from their ventures in China. Washington Post columnist Sebastian Mallaby wrote in an April 17 op-ed, "American business is in a golden phase right now because its imaginative culture fits the challenges of the post-industrial age. A low-wage economy that crams on science is not going to take that away from us."

Currency
One of the hot-button issues in U.S.-Chinese trade relations is the value of China's currency, the yuan (also known as the renminbi or RMB). U.S. critics allege that China is artificially keeping the value of the yuan some 40 percent below what its value would otherwise be on the open market. This, they say, makes Chinese goods cheaper in the United States and U.S. goods more expensive in China, thus contributing to the large trade imbalance between the two nations. According to Schumer, "China's refusal to play by international economic rules cripples our ability to compete on a level playing field." Schumer and fellow senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) sponsored a bill that would have levied a 27.5 percent tariff on all Chinese imports unless the yuan was substantially revalued. The bill was withdrawn in March after the two senators visited China and were persuaded that Beijing was committed to currency reforms.

In July 2005, China agreed to a 2.1 percent increase of the yuan's value, and rather than pegging it to the dollar, began pegging it to a "basket" of international currencies. Since then the yuan has appreciated a mere 0.5 percent, and critics allege China has not made good on a pledge to let "market supply and demand" play a greater role in determining the exchange rate.

C. Fred Bergsten, director of the Institute for International Economics, told a March 29 hearing of the Senate Finance Committee (PDF), that a substantial increase in the value of the Chinese currency is essential to reduce the imbalances in the global economic system. Many experts agree with Bergsten. But others, like Steil, suggest a revaluation of the yuan would simply redistribute U.S. imports and raise U.S. prices. However, Steil says, "a controlled appreciation of the currency is in China's interest," because it would help keep down inflation.

Keidel, on the other hand, does not believe China's currency is overvalued. He writes in a policy brief (PDF), "Instead of decrying China's exchange rate, Washington policy makers should turn their attention to the task of raising U.S. productivity."

Protectionism
Growing protectionist elements within the United States and China have at times opposed trade agreements between the two nations. In the United States showdowns with Chinese investors have been focused mainly on security and based in part on what Segal describes as "a general distrust of China." In August 2005, congressional uproar over energy security caused the Chinese energy company CNOOC to withdraw a bid to buy the U.S. oil company Unocal. In 1999, as the Hong Kong shipping company Hutchinson Whampoa was about to take control of the shipyards lining the Panama Canal, retired U.S. admiral and former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Thomas H. Moorer predicted a "nuclear Pearl Harbor." That deal, however, went through. Security concerns are also at the root of a U.S. ban on trading military or dual-use technologies with China.

Segal and another CFR senior fellow, Elizabeth Economy, describe in a Washington Post op-ed that a growing chorus of Chinese critics worry that their economy has integrated too quickly and that foreign elements will gain too much control of China's economy. At the March gathering of the National People's Congress, a long-awaited law to improve the protection of private property was blocked at the last minute. The same month, China's commerce ministry blocked the U.S.-based Carlyle Group from purchasing a majority stake in the Xugong Group Construction Machinery Co.

Intellectual Property
Intellectual property rights (IPR) are another source of tension in U.S.-Chinese trade relations. Reports of IPR violations extend well beyond the somewhat familiar software and DVD pirating to include potentially more harmful counterfeits, including pharmaceuticals, automobiles, and even airplane parts.

For its part, the Chinese government has imposed anti-counterfeiting laws and established special courts to prosecute offenders, but so far this has had little effect. As Economy explains, "There's very little incentive for local officials to crack down," especially when counterfeits provide locals with jobs and likely fill officials' wallets with kickbacks.

There is some hope that as Chinese innovation creates new products, it will become more rigid in its enforcement of IPR laws. Segal is not optimistic. He says that in China "there is a lot of pressure to reverse engineer*, which would create more IPR issues."

The United States has threatened to bring the dispute up before the WTO, though it's not a very palatable option, as China might actually come out on top in arbitration. Segal says that in terms of pressuring China on IPR violations, "We really don't have a lot of tools."

western-medias tell them china IS bad,so they hate china.

ASTRALdragon said:
I don't want a war between the US and China. If the Chinese are gone, who's going to make cheap consumer goods?! Who's going to infringe on copyright laws across the board?! Not to mention those Chinese gold farmers in the internet video game business are going to be gone! We need that services-based industry! :p

chinese don't want a war between the us and china. if the American are gone, who's going to borrow money from chinese? who's going to buy cothes ,shoes and furniture from chinese? who's going to invest china to hire chinese? who's going to give scholarship to best chinese college students? who's going to help china become richer and richer? forget mention x-box 360 and hollywood moive. if American are gone ,chinese kids will cry all the time..see, chinese need services-based industry too.

Important US Exports to China
Criteria: At least 3% of total and contributed at least 3% of total growth in exports to China, 2001-05 (number in parenthesis is 2005 share of exports to China)

Semiconductors _ _ _ _ _ _ 10.0% (8.0%)
Civilian aircraft _ _ _ _ _ _ 7.3% (9.2%)
Raw cotton _ _ _ _ _ _ 6.0% (3.3%)
Soybeans _ _ _ _ _ _ 5.5% (5.4%)
Plastic materials_ _ _ _ _ _ 5.3% (4.4%)
Steelmaking materials _ _ _ _ _ _ 4.5% (3.5%)
Organic chemicals _ _ _ _ _ _ 4.4% (3.3%)
Other industrial machines _ _ _ _ _ _ 3.1% (3.7%)

US Imports from China
Criteria: At least 3% of total and contributed at least 3% of total growth in imports from China, 2001-05 (number in parenthesis is 2005 share of imports from China)

Computer accessories, peripherals, parts _ _ _ _ _ _ 11.4% (10.6%)
Computers _ _ _ _ _ _ 9.7% (5.9%)
Clocks, port typewriters, other household goods _ _ _ _ _ _ 9.0% (9.3%)
TV receivers, VCRs and other video equipment _ _ _ _ _ _ 5.9% (4.9%)
Toys, shooting and sporting goods, bicycles _ _ _ _ _ _ 5.5% (8.3%)
Non-cotton, non-wool textile apparel and household goods _ _ _ _ _ _ 5.3% (5.4%)
Furniture, household items, baskets _ _ _ _ _ _ 4.9% (4.7%)
Cotton apparel and household goods _ _ _ _ _ _ 3.9% (3.1%)

Rabs said:
Isnt there plenty of other third world nations to make our crap. China needs our cash a hell of a lot more than we need our crap, other nations will be more than happy to use their slave labor to give us cheap plastic toys.

Between the patent violations and their moneys artificial value and the fact i just dont like them, screw em. Lets start tradeing more with India or malaysia or hell vietnam for that matter. We are giving a nation money so it can turn around and buy things that will eventually be used to kill Americans.

Yeh I'm country bashing, I dont think anybody would be upset if I bashed N. Korea so why not china. Both are crappy communist countries that world would be better without.

if a person really enjoys whining and crying and bashing, this person is just like nothing more than a welfare loser.

Last edited by a moderator:
You still have failed redress the topic of this post with anything other than smoke, mirrors and personal attacks. Only JZ has had the balls to stop make excuses and just own up to it.

you know what? you are right. i will try my best to find all of negative news about china, then post them in here, so people can keep bashing china. let's kick chicom's ass, no matter what.

I'll help but let's try to keep this one on topic... start new threads but be sure to search mine first. :)

ok. let me say this: chincom is bad, and chinese are good. I hope i am not gonna piss off some chinese dudes in this forum

filmmaker said:
ok. let me say this: chincom is bad, and chinese are good. I hope i am not gonna piss off some chinese dudes in this forum

That pretty much sums up my views. I'm a quarter Chinese so I can't really hate my own people, but I do despise the Chinese government for all its dishonesty, oppression, and cruelty.

I dislike china becuase we try to passify them and let them do whatever they want regardless of the effect on the US economy.
chinese don't want a war between the us and china. if the American are gone, who's going to borrow money from chinese? who's going to buy cothes ,shoes and furniture from chinese? who's going to invest china to hire chinese? who's going to give scholarship to best chinese college students? who's going to help china become richer and richer? forget mention x-box 360 and hollywood moive. if American are gone ,chinese kids will cry all the time..see, chinese need services-based industry too.

Exactly thats why we need to stop tradeing with them.

IMO,the only reason they buy chinese weapons is they cant afford american weapons.if they can,american gov will sell the weapons to them.just like yingying said "From 2000-2004 Russia selled 26.925 billion dollar weapons while USA selled 25.93 billion dollar weapons but China only 1.436 billion dollar weapons only takes 1/20 of America............."

Rabs said:
I dislike china becuase we try to passify them and let them do whatever they want regardless of the effect on the US economy.

Exactly thats why we need to stop tradeing with them.
I like america because they come from half earth away to help the people
in Iraq

IMO,the only reason they buy chinese weapons is they cant afford american weapons.if they can,american gov will sell the weapons to them.just like yingying said "From 2000-2004 Russia selled 26.925 billion dollar weapons while USA selled 25.93 billion dollar weapons but China only 1.436 billion dollar weapons only takes 1/20 of America............."

We usally sell our weapons to the "good guys" at least since the cold war is over anyway.

EXACTLY like Taiwan. A democracy, albeit a corrupt one that I personally don't like but far better than the authoritarian regime in Beijing.

bulldogg said:
EXACTLY like Taiwan. A democracy, albeit a corrupt one that I personally don't like but far better than the authoritarian regime in Beijing.
Plz come to China and save us.Plz

Oh,i almost forgot you dont want to come to China because there is no oil in China.

BTW, are u a chinese?

lol yay for the triple post.

Hes an American working in China fyi.

and no bulldog you arent allowed to answer questiosn about yourself for yourself. :)

jz said:
I like america because they come from half earth away to help the people
in Iraq
They came to save the people in Iraq, but the people In Iraq welcomed them with AK-47,interestinfg indeed.
ASTRALdragon wrote
That pretty much sums up my views. I'm a quarter Chinese so I can't really hate my own people, but I do despise the Chinese government for all its dishonesty, oppression, and cruelty.
I do not like America especially the America government Because America government is the most rascal government in the world ,worse than N-Korea who are always afraid of there's developing.

THis was first a matter about wepaon selling but became a economic problem latter.

America selled weapon to Iraq when 1980s in order that Iraq can fight with Iran but now the people in Iraq used that weapon to kill Americans.

America selled weapon to India to creat the massacare between India and Pakistan.

America selled weapons to Venezuela but now they want to use that to fight against USA.

America selled weapons to Taiwan but you should that alll the weapons will be the booty of the Mainland-China in the future. Of cause some peopele will be killed in the unifying war.Very bad indeeeed.But who cares about it ?In fact I do not care about it.BUt America is the most so called free-democratic-lighted country in the world .Their weapon caused masscre they should be shamed ,they do not respect the human rights.
I do not believe that a country who can produce the massive powerful weapons can be a countrey who can really esteem the human rights......I dislike America.

America selled weapons to Japan because all the American know that the Japanese will remember Hiroshima for ever.Stupid indeed, is not it?

America selled weapons to the poor countries in order that they can be profited.

America selled weapons to Burma to promotre their civil war.......Does American is innnocent?The most rascal country in the world even worse than N-Korea.

America means what?
American means the bvig companies who produces weapons such as Boeing;America means syndicated companies such as GE and Morganstanly;America means Jews who really controlls the country but not the Anglo-saxon people.
All other American are the people who are famous for their ignorance.And now America is becoming more and more conservertive.......

America is nothing.

Work as the French character "Anti-Americannism"

Last edited:
yingying said:
The most rascal country in the world even worse than N-Korea.

America means what?
American means the bvig companies who produces weapons such as Boeing;America means syndicated companies such as GE and Morganstanly;America means Jews who really controlls the country but not the Anglo-saxon people.
All other American are the people who are famous for their ignorance.And now America is becoming more and more conservertive.......

America is nothing.

Yes, because we starve our citizens and kill them for speaking their mind. Jesus, you say we are ignorant but you claim that jews control our country.
yingying said:
I do not believe that a country who can produce the massive powerful weapons can be a countrey who can really esteem the human rights......I dislike America.
China has nukes to.

yingying said:
America selled weapons to Taiwan but you should that alll the weapons will be the booty of the Mainland-China in the future. Of cause some peopele will be killed in the unifying war.Very bad indeeeed.But who cares about it ?In fact I do not care about it.BUt America is the most so called free-democratic-lighted country in the world .Their weapon caused masscre they should be shamed ,they do not respect the human rights.
Or we are arming Taiwan to defend themselves and determine their own future not the one the mainland has pre-selected for them.

yingying said:
America is nothing.
You can have your opinion.

But, All this comeing from a country that killed more than Hitler in what it called a step forward?

what really bothers me in here is some people always refuse to accept the truth,even they've already knew the truth. one day they will realize what they try to defend is just a big lie.

the chincom's problem is that they are selling their lethal weapons to ANYONE anything. do you know which country they sold weapon to? a ****ing country named sudan,where large-scale violence in the Darfur region has claimed nearly 200,000 lives and forced more than 2 million people from their homes since 2003,and this is the reason why US and UN impose sanction against sudan. as a member who has a veto in the UN Security Council, China should be helping UN to punish the ****ing war criminals in sudan rather than keep selling weapon to them.
what ccp always say is " we will not interfere another country's business'". come on!!!!!!!! people get kill by weapon which were made in china.
yes, America are also selling weapons, but USA didn't sell their weapon to help sustain brutal conflicts, criminal violence and grave human-rights violations in countries such as Sudan, Nepal, Myanmar and South Africa.
America are making money by following effective laws and regulations.

Back