Washington Post cartoon and GEN Pace response. A MUST READ

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
This is a must read. Very unresponsible media. Look at the cartoon first before you read the response.

c_01292006_520.gif

Here is the response
http://www.wideopenphoto.com/060131-WashingtonPostletter.pdf

Not sure if yours was a remark meant to be ironic or not Forrest.

I would say the response is something that was well deserved. Of course I am in the military so a bit biased in my opinions. I don't see an agenda on the side of the generals. On the other hand I do see the WP maybe trying to stir something up over the letter.

This letter - other than the fact it is written and signed by people in high places - is no different than the many letters any newspaper would receive from your average civilian or military member.

:cen::cen::cen::cen:!!!!!!!!!!

I will ignore all of Mr. Tales cartoons in the future. I may also write a letter to the Washington Post.

Why complaining mates? :roll:

It is just a cartoon!

Chill-out!

If others are wrong in responding to or condemning blasphemous cartoons then you people should also not do that! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
TBA_PAKI said:
Why complaining mates? :roll:

It is just a cartoon!

Chill-out!

If others are wrong in responding to or condemning blasphemous cartoons then you people should also not do that! :rolleyes:

We just gripe, not rape, pillage, and burn. It's certainly not blasphemous. That word has been terribly misused lately. Personally, I don't read the Washington Compost, but if I did, I'd simply quit.:type:

The cartoon lacked taste. I think the guy's intent was a slam at the SECDEF and not wounded US military personel, but he missed his mark terribly. Good response from the Joint Chiefs.

bulldogg said:
The more I hear from General Pace the more I like the man.
:)

Gen. Pace is great! He says it like it is, and I hate that he gets so many wrist slaps because he's not PC.

If others are wrong in responding to or condemning blasphemous cartoons then you people should also not do that!

I assume you are refering to the Danish cartoon that depicted Moslems/Islam as violent and the violent rebuttle that was given because they were offended by this obviously false accusation? I don't see how the two compare.

Take if from me... someone who has been over in this :cen: :cen: hellhole for a year, this was very offensive. That cartoonist can kiss my :cen: !!

Team Infidel said:
Take if from me... someone who has been over in this :cen: :cen: hellhole for a year, this was very offensive. That cartoonist can kiss my :cen: !!

I just got back myself (my third tour) so I can completely understand your anger. At the same time, I gave up expecting civilians (media included) and politicians for that matter to be sensitive to us, or even know what our guys go through. Does it bother me? Yes. I wish they would try to at least have a modicum of sense.

These guys live quiet, happy lives and they never have to worry about that next IED or if the rockets will actually hit something this time. They don't know what it is like to watch friends die, or be under fire. To them, the war is nothing more than an opportunity to get an agenda out.

I do wonder if they would change their tune if they spent even a couple of hours at Walter Reed or the VA. Sadly, I think they'd be too self absorbed to let it effect them.

PJ24 said:
I just got back myself (my third tour) so I can completely understand your anger.

3rd tour? Air Force tours = 1 Army tour ;). Sorry, I work in a Joint unit and I see Air Force folks come and go all year long.

I have been to Walter Reed to visit a friend of mine who was a patient there. Let that cartoonist spend one day there and I don't think he will draw something like that.

Team Infidel said:
3rd tour? Air Force tours = 1 Army tour ;). Sorry, I work in a Joint unit and I see Air Force folks come and go all year long.

I have been to Walter Reed to visit a friend of mine who was a patient there. Let that cartoonist spend one day there and I don't think he will draw something like that.

lol

Well, things tend to work a little different with us than with big Air Force. But I can't complain, I love what I do and wouldn't do anything else.

See, I disagree about him not drawing something like that. I think those people are so spoiled and selfish, they wouldn't get the point, and they certainly wouldn't empathize with our guys. Maybe I'm just jaded about those types, but I really don't think there's any hope for 'em.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
Missileer said:
We just gripe, not rape, pillage, and burn. It's certainly not blasphemous. That word has been terribly misused lately. Personally, I don't read the Washington Compost, but if I did, I'd simply quit.:type:
Muslims did not raped or killed any foreigners. Although in 2 nations, a very few European embassies were burned but that reaction was expected given the nature of blasphemous cartoons against Islam published in media sources of those nations.

So watch your comments and stop making false assumptions.

Now just think for a minute! even though this cartoon may not be as offensive but still it sparked a reaction from military of US due to its offensive nature. But in our case, the cartoons were too much offensive!

Reaction is natural and its scale depends upon the level of offensiveness demonstrated by Media sources against any culture and organization.

TBA_PAKI said:
Muslims did not raped or killed any foreigners. Although in 2 nations, a very few European embassies were burned but that reaction was expected given the nature of blasphemous cartoons against Islam published in media sources of those nations.

Oh come on, tell me you are joking. Yes? I really hope so. Who are you to dictate other's opinions on your religion? And who are you to punish them for voicing said opinions through violence? With that comment, all you've done is hurt Islam and you really haven't countered the common assumption that Islam is violent and oppressive.

I don't mean to come across as aggressive here, but this has to be the most out of world comment I've seen on this board yet!

Now just think for a minute! even though this cartoon may not be as offensive but still it sparked a reaction from military of US due to its offensive nature. But in our case, the cartoons were too much offensive!

Reaction is natural and its scale depends upon the level of offensiveness demonstrated by Media sources against any culture and organization.

Yet, you do not see anyone burning down the Washington Times HQ.

TBA_PAKI said:
what, so you are saying it is ok to burn embassys as long as you dont burn too many? BS. learn some self control. there are more appropriate ways of expressing anger and disappopintment and if you wish to trade/have relations with western nations, how about being a bit more sympathetic to our rules and customs, eh?
sadly the response, while not expected, was not suprising seeing the lack of restraint and consideration shown by some extreme elements. what is trul scary is the silence of the mainstream

TBA_PAKI said:
So watch your comments and stop making false assumptions.

if the USA had decided to "do something" every time they saw someone burn/desecrate thier flag, a lot of people would not be alive today.

what a world of short tempered people we live in

this dude cracks me up!

LoL

Why do radical muslims try to bring up an excuse for any violent action they take?

because citing a religion document absolves the guilty party of alllll wrong doing, afterall, god is on thier side, right?

Back