Wartime Muzzle - Page 2

--
Boots

May 26th, 2005  
03USMC

The Goverment cannot and should not restrict the freedom of speech or the freedom of the press. They should however withhold certain sensitive materials like troop movements and operational data until it's no longer sensitive.

And monitor what the embedded journalists put out while embedded. Ref. Geraldo and his Map in the sand while embedded with the 101st during the Invasion of Iraq.

The Media should also be held accountable for what they do report and it's accuracy. Are you listening Newsweek?
May 26th, 2005  
Molly Pitcher

Oh those are good points, 03USMC.

What did Geraldo do? I missed that.
May 26th, 2005  
03USMC

On a live feed during the push to Baghdad. Mr. Rivera while embedded with a brigade of the 101st in an effort to give clear, consise and indepth reporting drew the position of 101st elements in realtion to an objective so the whole world could see. I happened to be watching and was shocked.

Mr Rivera was tossed out of tne theater wthin the next couple days.
--
Boots
May 26th, 2005  
Molly Pitcher

Oh God! That's horrible! Why didn't he get prosecuted for that? Seems to me a case of reckless endangerment if not outright treason!
May 26th, 2005  
03USMC

IMO Given Geraldos track record and "quality reporting" (read getting nose broke by a wrestler, smacked in the melon with a chair by a Neo Nazi, and Al Capones "secert vault.) The powers that be probably figured he was an idiot beyond help and just wanted him out of the AO.
May 27th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I loved John Stewart's quote about Geraldo.

"Geraldo Rivera has just become the 4th person the U.S. Government has asked to leave Iraq. Now keep in mind that the other 3 people are Saddam and his two sons!"
May 27th, 2005  
Gunner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
IMO Given Geraldos track record and "quality reporting" (read getting nose broke by a wrestler, smacked in the melon with a chair by a Neo Nazi, and Al Capones "secert vault.) The powers that be probably figured he was an idiot beyond help and just wanted him out of the AO.
BEFORE he did anything stupider than he already HAD done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
I loved John Stewart's quote about Geraldo.

"Geraldo Rivera has just become the 4th person the U.S. Government has asked to leave Iraq. Now keep in mind that the other 3 people are Saddam and his two sons!"
May 30th, 2005  
Missileer

Controlling some freedoms is necessary during war. All letters to and from soldiers in WWII were censored for security reasons. Not just anyone can read or discuss secret documents today in the real world. I am in the defense industry and hold a secret clearance but I also have to have a need to know about a project. Our top secret programs can't even be mentioned to anyone without a need to know, even if they hold a TS clearance. Not just anyone can enter area 51 in New Mexico. There are times when countries have to declare Martial Law and control travel and information of citizens. The US has to protect the Country first.