Warriors of WWII

Hmmm...Simo Hayha was a Finnish sniper credited with 542 kills with his rifle and 200+ kills with a submachine gun in the 105 day Winter War against the russians. Among his kills was a russian sniper of some repute...after a six day duel, Simo shot him in the head at 600 m with an open-sighted rifle

:shock:

Finny_1 said:
Hmmm...Simo Hayha was a Finnish sniper credited with 542 kills with his rifle and 200+ kills with a submachine gun in the 105 day Winter War against the russians. Among his kills was a russian sniper of some repute...after a six day duel, Simo shot him in the head at 600 m with an open-sighted rifle

:shock:

Yeah an amazing marksman and a national hero of Finland. Definately a very good choice.

Personally, I like General Patton, but I respect everyone who even fought in the war. Anyone who even was in the war deserves our respect. That's personally what I think.

Audie Murphy i should consider for a warrior. When his men were on a patrol with vehicles in france they were ambushed by a german regiment. During the fighting his men supstained casulities and they were forced to fall back. He not only stayed on a burning half-track to fire the 50. calibur and hold the germans back while his men retreated. He volenteered to lead the assult to take the position back even though the wounds and burns he had recieved had not been treated. Him and his men were not only able to recapture the ground but also take more terriotory. He recieved many am,erican medals including the medal of honor and some beligun and french medals.

Harvey Possinger. Who is heck is that? Mr. Possinger is one of the many unsung heroes of World War II. What is so special about him you ask? He was awarded a total of 26 medals, two shy of Audie Murphy's record of 28. Audie Murphy also has something else Harvey Possinger doesn't have, the Medal of Honor. Possinger was nominated to receive our nation's highest military honor for his actions in the Philippines in 1945. While saving a number of wounded GIs, Mr. Possinger was wounded for the fifth time. They sent him home after this. "I said 'Why are you sending me home?' They said 'Don't you know?' I said 'no.' They said I was recommended for the Medal of Honor," says Possinger. He is still waiting for the decoration 60 years later. All the records of his actions were destroyed in the fire in St. Louis. And without evidence, he can't be awarded the medal he truly deserves.

MightyMacbeth said:
Dont u think that we are leaving out the Japanese commanders.. :?

Heh, the responses so far have been fairly one sided ;)

There were war heroes on every side of the of any conflict, just the ideologies and politics differed. And of course it's hard for an American to call a Japanese/German/Vietnamese soldier who single handedly killed a number of American troops, a hero.

Ok, I'll break off this one sided discussion. People seem to be forgetting about the Japanese admiral yamamoto. This man planned the attack on pearl harbor and almost had us beat everywhere his carriers where (minus midway). If it wasn't for the fact that he was shot down in 1943, who knows what other strategies he would have thought of.

bigcanada813 said:
Ok, I'll break off this one sided discussion. People seem to be forgetting about the Japanese admiral yamamoto. This man planned the attack on pearl harbor and almost had us beat everywhere his carriers where (minus midway). If it wasn't for the fact that he was shot down in 1943, who knows what other strategies he would have thought of.

All he did was awaken a sleeping giant.......

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Admiral Yamamoto

There were war heroes on every side of the of any conflict -snip- ...And of course it's hard for an American to call a Japanese/German/Vietnamese soldier who single handedly killed a number of American troops, a hero.
Well, underestimating your enemies (as here finding it hard to note a Hero when you see one) never has been a true soldiers (or a rather successful) strategy.

I am still waitng for the article about that Iraq/Afghan (insurgent) hero warrior (from private coomments of frineds I have heard there are, and I actually would have ben surprised if not).

Does history really only tell about American, German or other western world great soldiers within a decade (ok, so we have Alexander, Cesar, but those are oldies compared even to Jeronimo)?

You sincerely believe (I might be wrong and yours was an ironic comment, "mea culpa" if so, let me know) that, e.g. in the 2000 insurgents that died batteling with mere AK´s/RPK duds the "Blackhawk Down" scenario there was not one true hero somewhere?

Just an example, I think we western culture people (and more civilans than soldiers, who usually know that the other side guys tick alike) tend to be prepotent too easily.

Rattler

in the 2000 insurgents that died batteling with mere AK´s/RPK duds the "Blackhawk Down" scenario there was not one true hero somewhere?

The 2000 figure has no credibility. It is not even the 'official' US estimate for casualties and even then a large proportion were civilians..

Last edited:
Back