Warriors On Terror

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Daily News
October 2, 2008
Pg. 20

City’s patriots sign up for Army as military reaches recruitment goals
By Stephanie Gaskell, Daily News Staff Writer
NINE YOUNG men and women joined the Army yesterday in a Times Square ceremony — just days before the Defense Department announces it reached its recruitment goals for a third straight year.
Two brothers from the Bronx enlisted together at the Times Square Recruiting Station, amid the hubbub of whizzing cars and hordes of pedestrians.
“It’s a family tradition for us — we wanted to become something more,” said Javier Rios, 23, who joined with his 19-year-old brother, Joseph.
Yosero Kim is a 17-year-old senior at Half Hollow Hills High School in Dix Hills, L.I. He’ll head straight to basic training after he graduates. “I want to serve my nation,” he said. The feds are expected to release enlistment numbers for fiscal year 2008 next Friday, but Army officials at yesterday’s ceremony said they’ve reached their goal of 169,500 for active Army, reserves and the National Guard.
“We are, as our slogan says, Army strong,” said Gen. William Wallace, commander of the Army’s Training and Doctrine Command center at Fort Monroe in Virginia.
Army Secretary Pete Geren said he’s impressed that Americans still want to join the military — especially in a time of war.
“We are proud of the men and women who step forward in the middle of a war and raise their hand to serve,” Geren said. “That tells you a lot about the character of those men and women, about their patriotism, about their commitment. They are the strength of our nation.”
Philisha Lee, 18, came from Fresno, Calif., to take an oath of service.
“It’s my first time in New York,” she said. “It’s really special to be around all these people and in this place.”

Back