Warrior vs Soldier

Runaway

Hi guys. I found this forum through a search. Search terms "Military" and "Forum", lol

Anyways, I am part of a discussion group, where I introduced the idea that the US Army had no room for warriors - soldiers are required to accomplish the goals of today's army.

Now, I didn't make this up. Somewhere in my training, years ago, I was introduced to the concepts of "warrior" and "soldier". Other reading and discussions have reinforced this idea.

A warrior fights for personal honor, prestige, wealth, and/or necessity. But always, the emphasis is on personal glory. Discipline is a little emphasized concept to a warrior.

A soldier, on the other hand, is nothing if not disciplined. Since this is a miitary forum, I certainly don't need to define discipline, or give examples of it here.

Anyway, I'm hoping that some members here can point me to writings, documents, or historical studies that will support my position. A warrior is detrimental to military order, and they are quickly weeded out if identified.

BTW, I would be grateful if no one points out how poorly thought out my tactics were. I introduced an idea that I am unable to back up by myself. Dumb. So, here I am asking for help from other vets :)

Thanks,

Runaway

Please read the forum rules, and hop on over to the Welcoming forum and give us an intro. Thanks.

Now that that the Mod stuff is out of the way.

A warrior fights for personal honor, prestige, wealth, and/or necessity. But always, the emphasis is on personal glory. Discipline is a little emphasized concept to a warrior.

Sorry, can't help you find any support because I find this to be completely wrong and insulting to the many men within our forces that are warriors and serve with pride, honor and selfless sacrifice. Not sure who drilled this idea into your head, but it sounds like bitter "Never gonna be" REMF teachings, to me.

I believe you may be mixing the idea of a merc and a warrior.

If you mean to say that this is your defenition of the word "warrior", then I can see your point that the persons you call "warriors" don't belong in the military.
But I don't think the definition is accurate, so if your discussion is about the meaning of the word "warrior" then I disagree.

I've heard this as well, though I'm not sure where, but when people talk about warriors, they usuall refer to the old-time kind, like knights, and Samurai and such, the warriors who fought for glory, money, and what-not. But over the years as technology has changed, warfare has changed with it, and thus, warriors have changed as well. Our soldiers today are warriors, but have different reasons for fighting, and are more organized and part of a larger force. Maybe when I wake up I'll make more sense. :?

Hmmm...well this was different

a definition for warrior

\War"rior\ (?; 277), n. [OE. werreour, OF. werreour, guerreor, from guerre, werre, war. See War, and Warray.] A man engaged or experienced in war, or in the military life; a soldier; a champion

a defitniton for a soldier

\Sol"dier\, n. [OE. souldier, soudiour, souder, OF. soldier, soldoier, soldeier, sodoier, soudoier, soudier, fr. L. solidus a piece of money (hence applied to the pay of a soldier), fr. solidus solid. See Solid, and cf. Sold, n.] 1. One who is engaged in military service as an officer or a private; one who serves in an army; one of an organized body of combatants

Warrior seems to indicate one that has seen the elephant...soldier seems to mean the potential to see the elephant only.

In my opinion, experience and belonging both have reciperols in the meaning. You could be a soldier, but having not seen actual combat, so you are not a warrior. You could have seen combat and thus be a warrior, but not nessarily belong to a group to do it, as for a soldier.

As an Industrial Hygiene technican, I would have made a lousy warrior anyway. I would have been too busy asking the guy who was trying to kill me " Now, is that weapon ergonomically correct"? "Do you need the trigger adjusted to relieve the strain on your finger joint?". "Remember, breathing that rifle smoke can be harmful to your health" " And wear them earplugs to prevent the hearing loss from impact noise" maybe i could have simply bored my captors to death; do they give you a medal for that?

:D

Mark Conley said:
\Sol"dier\, n. [OE. souldier, soudiour, souder, OF. soldier, soldoier, soldeier, sodoier, soudoier, soudier, fr. L. solidus a piece of money (hence applied to the pay of a soldier), fr. solidus solid. See Solid, and cf. Sold, n.] 1. One who is engaged in military service as an officer or a private; one who serves in an army; one of an organized body of combatants

So what are you from E-3 to E-9? :lol:

Mark Conley said:
As an Industrial Hygiene technican, I would have made a lousy warrior anyway. I would have been too busy asking the guy who was trying to kill me " Now, is that weapon ergonomically correct"? "Do you need the trigger adjusted to relieve the strain on your finger joint?". "Remember, breathing that rifle smoke can be harmful to your health" " And wear them earplugs to prevent the hearing loss from impact noise" maybe i could have simply bored my captors to death; do they give you a medal for that?

:lol: *wiping tears*

Redneck said:
So what are you from E-3 to E-9?
Well, in the Army you're still a Pvt at E-3. After that, you're a mean SOB ready and willing to chew up and eat any young Pvt that comes your way. That's in the Army, anyway. Oh, and the Marine Corps eat their young as well, but only up to E-2. :D [/quote]

RnderSafe said:
Redneck said:
So what are you from E-3 to E-9?
Well, in the Army you're still a Pvt at E-3.

Daggone it, I hate losing cool points. :lol:

I don't know, Mark, I think you'd fare pretty well as a prisoner, they'd be some pretty interesting interrogations. :lol:
"Tell us what you do in the Satan military!"
"Did I tell you about the time an owl took over the control tower at Tinker AFB and made a C-130 land at Wal-Mart and I got sent out to do a chemical analysis on the cheese poofs?"

redneck: I Absolutley Love That!

im rolling on the floor laughing so hard that the other workers were looking at me funny....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

having fun.

Mark Conley said:
redneck: I Absolutley Love That!

im rolling on the floor laughing so hard that the other workers were looking at me funny....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same here, except I happen to be the only one in the room.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and one more :lol:

:lol:
Glad I hit yer funny bones.
To heck with this Army jazz, I'm headed to the city to be a stand-up.

Redneck said:
I don't know, Mark, I think you'd fare pretty well as a prisoner, they'd be some pretty interesting interrogations. :lol:
"Tell us what you do in the Satan military!"
"Did I tell you about the time an owl took over the control tower at Tinker AFB and made a C-130 land at Wal-Mart and I got sent out to do a chemical analysis on the cheese poofs?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I think Mark had it right. The terms soldier and warrior are not mutually exclusive. One can be both a soldier who has trained for the day he becomes a warrior and a warrior who is also a soldier. Of course you could debate the phrase "Cold War Warrior" as well. I've heard that one and I see nothing really wrong with it. It's a matter of the context you use the words in.

The Marine Corps is a Corps of Warriors! That's ALL it has room for. And the Marine Corps is the most disciplined of all the services.

silent driller said:
The Marine Corps is a Corps of Warriors! That's ALL it has room for. And the Marine Corps is the most disciplined of all the services.

How would you know? You aren't even in. Keep your opinions of who's better, who has most or this or that trait, etc to yourself. If you have questions, read the forum rules.

silent driller said:

Alright, we've been over this far too many times, until you have served, you have NO PLACE TO RANK OR RATE THE SERVICES!

Thank you.

1SG, only the most super-hooah guys can get on the silent drill teams.

Toy Soldiers are high speed(jk) trust me I KNOW.

Back to the topic. I have always made a distinction between soldiers an warriors. A warrior is someone who is born into it, a fighter. Maybe not as disciplined or well trained as a soldier. Example, the Celts and the Romans. The Celts were warriors, and individuals. The romans were soldiers. They were a cohesive unit. When I think of warrior i see Conan.

I think a soldier is someone who is trained, disciplined, and professional. I never saw myself as a warrior, just as a soldier. It just blows my mind that I am in the same boat with guys like York, Benavidez, and the countless other Joes and Marines who have done so much. They are a LONG ways above me though.

I am trained and willing. But will not do so if it is not called for or not necessary. Maybe that is just what has been ingrained in my head. I like to think that, that is how I would act in combat. But I guess i will have to wait to find out. Missed this war. All of my boys and my unit are getting CIBs, and I am getting a $350,000 dollar commission shoved up my fourth point of contact one nickle at a time. Still trying to figure out who got which end of the stick.

Soldier is soldier,man who go to arms.On the other hand warioir is more like mitical name,on my opinion it represents a person who dedicated his whole life to fighting something or someone

Back