Warrior Religions

LIBERTY

I have done some research and I havent found much on warrior religions. If you have a link to a page with info about them please post it.

The cult of marduk or mithras. It was used a lot by the roman legions during the later roman empire as a warrior-oriented religion, try that.

It wasn't a deity specific religion to be sure, but was such an involved form of living that it amounts to a religion. Anyway I was mentioning it with Shintoism as they are so intertwined.

One could probably count the overall number of religions that are not potentially warrior religions on no fingers. :lol:

The indigenous Mongolian religions were very war focussed. A great many "barbarian" faiths had tremendous treatment for the revering of the Warrior. Many of the religions that could be mentioned are
Charge7 said:
And lest we forget our illustrious potentate...

The Norse :viking:
Tough to beat the Norse when it comes to warrior focus. Vallhalla - heaven - is closed to all who do not die in battle afterall. Numerous Native American tribes were extremely warrior focussed. The Aztecs, the Incas, the Comanche, the Apache ... well, there are a lot of them.

Actually, no, the ancient Celts were very nature oriented. They had river gods and earth mothers and the like.

Charge_7 said:
Actually, no, the ancient Celts were very nature oriented. They had river gods and earth mothers and the like.

They had that kind of gods, but also this ones:

Camulus
A Gaulish war god mentioned by the Romans, who associated them with Mars. He gave his name to the Roman town of Camulodunum (Colchester).

Carman
A destructive witch, she was the goddess of evil magic. She had three equally destructive sons: Dub ("darkness"), Dother ("evil"), and Dian ("violence"), who ravaged Ireland. The Tuatha Dé Danann fought against Carman with their most powerful weapons. Finally the sorceress Bechuille, was able to undo Carman's curses. Her sons were destroyed and Carman put in chains, where she died of grief

Cartimandua
A legendary warrior queen who waged war against the Roman Empire, she was the leader of the Brigantes, descendants of the goddess Brigantia

Caswallawn
A Celtic war god of Britain

Norther Spanish Celtics called Cantabros were great warriors, the Roma Empire used them as mercenary, they expend over 30 years to conqueor as, but they did not really do it. Roman Empire need many many years to conqueor Hispania(Spain). Our greatest warrior was called Corocota. When old celtic cantabros did have enough strengh to old their sword they kill their self using the leave of a tree called "Tejo". They also used to drink horse blood in order to be stronger. They were pretty tough guys.

Oh yes, they had those gods but they were not at the forefront of their religion. They were more or less, periphery gods. Those that affected things but were not the central powers which were nature oriented and governed all.

Actaully I think Sparta is the best example of an entire society dedicated to a warrior cult. I don't know if it qualifies as a religion though.

Charge_7 said:
Oh yes, they had those gods but they were not at the forefront of their religion. They were more or less, periphery gods. Those that affected things but were not the central powers which were nature oriented and governed all.

Well, ancient celtics were politeistics, so I guess that each person adoreted with more emphasys the god they wanted. probably warriors gave more importance to warrior´s gods, their lives were in his hands.... ;)

Back