Wargames and the Enemy

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Congratulations, if you are a member of any form of armed service and are reading this, you are now promoted to General.

And this is your first assignment.

Your country has agreed to attend a massive war game on the plains of central Europe, your military unit will be partaking in this military exercise....however you will not, by request of your defense establishment you and the other top brass of the participating countries are now putting together a mock enemy fighting force.

This is like the world military exhibition, where the exercise will have another equally capable force that you must content with, all communications, logistics, and decision making included.

There will be vehicles, and aircraft as well as ground based troops moving on the exercise field, and the goal is to have the most realistic battlefield condition without actually going to war....So think tactical training rounds......lots of training rounds......

Now back to the general part, if you are in the armed forces , consider your military unit, consider it partaking in the ware game.

You are now tasked with constructing an enemy fighting force.

A mock fighting force equal in capability and size to the one you are a part of. List it's military capabilities, equipment and type of operation, be as vague or detailed as you want. But remember for the sake of realism, and accuracy, do not go overboard....10 million Challenger tanks supported by 10000 captured B 2 Stealth bombers is in that category.

But consider a imaginary foe that would prove a equal threat to your imaginary alliance in this imaginary war-game. So by all means use your imagination.

Oh and Central Europe is BIG....So keep that in mind, and if your country of service is nowhere near there, like for say Asia or Australia, consider you have had time to load your gear and have it shipped wholesale and set up and ready to go at the start of the ware game.

Typical large scale fashion, one big stick in the west, one in the east, for some made up political reason, one stick has to break the other,

So here is a recap,

*Consider your military unit and country part of the alliance.
*This is large scale modern mechanized ground and air warfare
*You are in central/Eastern Europe
*False exercises may include dealing with and protecting civilians, and treating mass casualties.
*Most importantly put together and opposing force that can match or exceed your own.

Lastly, your imaginary opponent must once again make sense, T 90s and Honda Dirt bikes may sound cool....But the enemy can reasonably only supply a effective force with equipment similar or hailing from the same portion of the globe.

Lastly the imaginary force cannot hail to any particular flag, this is a false military exercise, not a political one.

Use some thought, or be vague details,

I am looking for many different approaches, and answers, it may seem like a lot, but hopefully it only takes about 30 seconds of thought.

Regards,

Yo

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I see with this..even though it would be fun to do in private...is that all the world can see this. If people give detailed, realistic answers to this....well, operational security would be compromised. I love these types of scenerios....but in private.

Thats what I tried to avoid , just a vague answer is what I expect,

Not anything on the level with Aber Archer or Red Flag, just a "if they wore Red Shirts, I would were a Blue Shirt" Type setting, not looking for anything thing that belongs in a war college.

Simple answers, to avoid security issues.

Yossarian..

I understand your question and I understand what you are saying but I am telling you any and all hypothetical scenarios worth reading would violate OPSEC.

We use such scenarios as trainingtools in most countries and revealing our different options to defeat/delay/grind down any aggressions towards our nations would be giving up tidbits of our strategic thinking and shouldn´t be done on an open board.

Good question, but not doable.

Keep your ear to the ground if a former or current military member tells you that your question might risk touching on OPSEC.

KJ sends...

I would assemble my enemies with an army of bed-wetting hippies armed with sunflowers and 60's music.
Sure their quality will be crap but we'll give them numerical advantage.
lol

Yossarian..

I understand your question and I understand what you are saying but I am telling you any and all hypothetical scenarios worth reading would violate OPSEC.

We use such scenarios as trainingtools in most countries and revealing our different options to defeat/delay/grind down any aggressions towards our nations would be giving up tidbits of our strategic thinking and shouldn´t be done on an open board.

Good question, but not doable.

Keep your ear to the ground if a former or current military member tells you that your question might risk touching on OPSEC.

KJ sends...

Thats what I figured might happen with this one, your point is duely noted and taken, won't ask questions along such lines again.

Thanks,

Yo

Back