THE WAR WE NEVER SAW.

Now I was a lad during WW2 and most of those things I was well aware off, but todays children's are not taught them or the horrors of WW2 and just what every one went through during this time. I remember one day at the schools dinner time out main meal was mashed potato and cabbage and some gravy which I only pushed around the plate. One of the teachers came up asked why i had not eaten it, to which I replied "I'm not hungry". Well did get slapped down she called out names of children and asked them were their fathers were, to which they all replied dead Miss, she then asked how they died. Well she had picked all those that had died on ships that had been sunk bringing supplies into the country. Well I finished my food but my name was mud in the playground for the rest of the week.

Hi Le - remember the days when the fighting men were coming home. The painted house fronts; the huge bonfires with the wives leading all the kids in the congas around the streets. Us kids ripped all the wood from the bombed out houses to build those fires, big as 2/3 storey houses. Those wives showed the full story in their celebration, never seen people so happy. Us kids had known nothing but the war and the threat from Hitler in our short lives. A new world opened for us.

When VE Day was declared I was up in the West End of London and out side Buckingham Palace, I was in the front of that mob out side the palace.

He-he. That was where I stood when Princess Elizabeth (The Queen now, of course) married Philip.

But on VE night in Bethnal Green, Globe Road, I was dancing around one of the enormous bon-fires on one of multitude of bomb-sites, with mostly the wives and kids of the community, all out on the streets. London was alight again and the skies were red again, but this time with our celebrations.

We were out again on VJ night, believe you me.

Back