War on Terror to Spread to Africa

Duty Honor Country

Rebels more active in African deserts, U.S. general says
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Al-Qaeda-linked Algerian insurgents are becoming more active in Africa's remote, ungoverned deserts, and increased cooperation among African nations will be key to averting future terror attacks, a top U.S. general said Saturday.

U.S. Maj. Gen. Thomas Csrnko said the No. 1 threat to the region was Algeria's Salafist Group for Call and Combat, an al-Qaeda affiliated movement that loaded fighters onto a dozen trucks earlier this month and attacked an isolated Mauritanian army outpost near the Algerian and Mali borders.

The surprise assault left 15 Mauritanian soldiers and nine Salafists dead.

The attack was a clear sign "they've become more active," Csrnko told The Associated Press. "Whether or not they've gotten more financing, I don't know...

READ MORE

How do they know that the group is linked to Al-Qaeda? I think the Algerian government just wants U.S. support against their insurgency so they just shout "AL-QAEDA"!

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
How do they know that the group is linked to Al-Qaeda? I think the Algerian government just wants U.S. support against their insurgency so they just shout "AL-QAEDA"!

i have to agree with that. do they have any concrete support?

Back