The War on Religion in the US

The split between Orthodox and Catholic was more formal than anything else. It was just the sheer distance between the two camps resulted in different traditions and different emphasis. For example, the Roman Catholic church focuses on Jesus the human whereas the Orthodox church focuses on Jesus the divine. That's why in western art you see Jesus talking to people whereas in eastern art you see a stoic Jesus surrounded by a halo.

Orthodox _is_ Catholic. They and Roman Catholicism are _both_ Catholic. The division had nothing to do with what focus either gave Jesus. It was in whom they placed the power to determine the course of their faith - the Byzantine Emperor or the Pope.

I disagree, I think that was more of an excuse for mutal excomunication. The reason was because they had two different traditions that at the time where irrecconcilable.

Roman Catholics are universally under the pope despite national boarders -> Orthodox Catholics are divided up by national boarders.
Roman Catholics put an emphasis on Jesus' humanity -> Orthodox Catholics place emphasis on Jesus' divinity
Roman Catholics use unleaven bread -> Orthodox Catholics use leven bread
Roman Catholics believe the holly spirit comes from the Father and the Son -> Orthodox Christians believe it only comes from the father

These differences are examples of the different cultures the two churches had at the time. They didn't break for a big single reason like Luther later did with the 'indulgences'.

They never "broke". They were never part of the same thing. From their inception they had different leaders. All the rest you list are how they differ but not related to why there are two branchs of Catholicism.

This has gone off topic and I would be happy to continue the discussion if a mod moves it out for us, but I will not continue it further in this topic.

:eek:fftopic:

ok

Russian and Greek Oth. came around the same time. Have the similar beliefs, catholics and the Othod.'s were around same time too. But they still come under christianity/catholicism as they still believe in god/christ.

Argue all you want but I think to get a good idea of this you need to sppeak to some one in htese religions.

Sorry for starting the off topic thing.

Back