The War on Religion in the US - Page 3

--
Boots

January 21st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Just to give you the viewpoint of an atheist. Generally speaking atheists don't care. We realize that it's 13% atheists 87% theists in the U.S. and if those believers want to give me a day off of work so they can pray to their god then I say go right ahead. Usually the B.S. 'attacks on religion' you hear are from either the far left who are trying to make the U.S. more European secularist or from just general malcontents who would be christian if the world was 87% atheist (like the idiot trying to keep the prayer out of the innaguration).

On the other hand, atheists tend to be legitimately against the social-hijacking that religious groups tend to do like the Prohibition against alchohol at the beginning of the 20th century or the current FCC tyrany of the minority.
January 22nd, 2005  
Strongbow

Conservative Christian groups in the US have found a new sinner to rage against: SpongBob Squarepants, a childrens character.

Focus on the Family and and the American Family Association, insist that the character is spearheading an insidious campaign to spread homosexuality among children.

"Does anybody here know Spongebob?" Dr James Dobson, Focus on the Family's founder, asked guests this week at a dinner in Washington for Republican congressmen.

Dr Dobson accused SpongeBob's creators of enlisting him in a "prohomosexual video".

It is not the first time that children's TV favourites have come under the critical spotlight of the US Christian right. Tinky Winky, the purse-toting purple Teletubbie, was in the 1999 declared a homosexual role model by Jerry Falwell.

Excerpts from an article by Tom Leonard, Telegraph, Reuters.

& 03USMC

Jerry Falwell's group is making billions in South America.

The US Christian right has got the Republicans by the "you know whats".
January 22nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

All I have to say about the Spongebob thing is, Christians do themselves more harm with things like that than any anti-religious organization can.
--
Boots
January 24th, 2005  
Strongbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
All I have to say about the Spongebob thing is, Christians do themselves more harm with things like that than any anti-religious organization can.
Cheers Whispering Death!!!!
January 24th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I said it before and I'll say it again, every organization has its idiots. And they seem to shout louder too.
January 24th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: religion

Why do people need to abbuse religion. Its like an excuse these days. People make trouble from what they want.

It goes on all around the world. its every where so why does high ranking people have to abbuse what is already goin gon?
January 24th, 2005  
Redneck

Stongbow, adjust your attitude. When you are discussing something as important as someone's religion, you must use a good deal more tact than I have seen you do in your previous posts. If you attack any member for their religion on these forums, you will be banned. Argue your position, but do so with respect.
January 24th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Here's an interesting little thing that you may want to consider. And this was from personal experience.
I have seen strict, religious Christian Southerners make a better impression in Indonesia than the open minded "it's all good" type. Although the reigion differs, they see a man of principle, faith and strength.
The next isn't personal experience but we do know about it from Black Hawk Down (the book).
When Mike Durant (who I actually met by the way), was in captivity and asked for a Bible the Somalis showed more respect to him. He wrote a diary in that copy of the Bible with a pencil... the Somalis thought he was studying in the Bible and they felt even more respect for Durant.
What it means is as long as we respect our boundaries, people of faith can get along. Religion BAD! Religion BAD! is a very simple way of seeing things.
Do you actually know what is the major thing that extremist Muslims hate about the West? The degredation of morals. They don't want that to flow over into their sphere of influence.
Even if we continue to have differences, what we would still have is mutual respect.
January 24th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: you'd think

Lack of morals!! I see teenagers who are muslims and young adults sitting in pubs getting drunk, dating cathoilc girls, now I'd say thats 2 maybe going onto 3 breaking rules!!

Any ways muslim/islams respect the chatholic religion as they say our god is the brother of theirs.
January 24th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow
Conservative Christian groups in the US have found a new sinner to rage against: SpongBob Squarepants, a childrens character.

Focus on the Family and and the American Family Association, insist that the character is spearheading an insidious campaign to spread homosexuality among children.

"Does anybody here know Spongebob?" Dr James Dobson, Focus on the Family's founder, asked guests this week at a dinner in Washington for Republican congressmen.

Dr Dobson accused SpongeBob's creators of enlisting him in a "prohomosexual video".

It is not the first time that children's TV favourites have come under the critical spotlight of the US Christian right. Tinky Winky, the purse-toting purple Teletubbie, was in the 1999 declared a homosexual role model by Jerry Falwell.

Excerpts from an article by Tom Leonard, Telegraph, Reuters.

& 03USMC

Jerry Falwell's group is making billions in South America.

The US Christian right has got the Republicans by the "you know whats".
I watch Spongebob with my three year old so I really could care less what a bunch of fundamentalists say about a cartoon character. I've never had much use for Falwell nor his organization. But just for the Record and so you know what religion to assail when addressing me I'm Roman Catholic. Which goes to explaining why I don't care for Falwell.

I also have a hard time believing the claim that Billions are being made in South America. I've been there several times and cannot envision where all that money is coming from.