war for oil - Page 4




 
--
Boots
 
March 26th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
If America wanted Iraqs oil we would simply seize their oil fields and kill anything that got within 50 miles. We wouldn't have anything to do with rebuilding their country. I find it so amazing that France, Russia, and Germany can have a "oil for food" program and nobody cares. We are spending BILLIONS to get Iraq back on its feet yet we are the oil mongers.
I really would love to stay out of the blood for oil argument but to play devils advocate it is an easy argument to make especially now the WMD argument has fallen flat on its face.
If you look at the world in general there are many countries that need "liberating" that are in a much worse state than Iraq ever was and yet they are not even on the US radar for "democratisation" the only thing that sets Iraq apart from all those given the lack of WMD's and Al Quaeda ties is the presence of oil.

DISCLAIMER: I dont believe oil was the driving reason for the invasion I do believe it was a factor in Iraq's selection though but it was one of many reasons some good and some bad.
March 26th, 2005  
Big_Z
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
If America wanted Iraqs oil we would simply seize their oil fields and kill anything that got within 50 miles. We wouldn't have anything to do with rebuilding their country. I find it so amazing that France, Russia, and Germany can have a "oil for food" program and nobody cares. We are spending BILLIONS to get Iraq back on its feet yet we are the oil mongers.
I really would love to stay out of the blood for oil argument but to play devils advocate it is an easy argument to make especially now the WMD argument has fallen flat on its face.
If you look at the world in general there are many countries that need "liberating" that are in a much worse state than Iraq ever was and yet they are not even on the US radar for "democratisation" the only thing that sets Iraq apart from all those given the lack of WMD's and Al Quaeda ties is the presence of oil.

DISCLAIMER: I don't believe oil was the driving reason for the invasion I do believe it was a factor in Iraq's selection though but it was one of many reasons some good and some bad.
I don't agree that we went into Iraq but I will support it. I think the fact that Saddam tried to kill W's daddy has more to do with it then oil but thats just my opinion.
March 26th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z

I don't agree that we went into Iraq but I will support it. I think the fact that Saddam tried to kill W's daddy has more to do with it then oil but thats just my opinion.

i've been WAITING for someone to put that out there! i want to believe it...but is it likely to be a factor?
--
Boots
March 27th, 2005  
A Can of Man
 
 
Hmmmm I don't know.
It would have been a factor for Bush, sure, but that wouldn't have cleared congress.
March 27th, 2005  
Doc.S
 

Topic: Re-War for Oil


Quote:
If you want someone to blame for the increase in oil prices you would probably be better off blaming developing countries (China, India etc.) as in their quest to develope stronger economies they are purchasing more and more oil and you really cant deny their right to do so.
I am not blaming anyone for the high gasoline prizes, I only reflects (mirrors) the uncertainty felt by the general public in my direct surroundings on home grounds at the moment.

I dont believe either that the main reason to attack Iraq was oil. But I believe in progress for the Iraqi ppl and that democracy is on its way to the Middle East. Not only there - Afghanistan, Iraq, Ukraine, Libanon and more to come. I think high gasoline prizes is here only to stay that way for a couple of years.

Otherwise, there will be other alternatives on the market that will provide ppl with "gasoline" for their cars and trucks and then. No more eyes towards the middle east, just as with Africa (no more colonys). Tourism yes if the region can control itself. Otherwise, a big "toxic" desert that no one will care about.

The future is alredy here, it just take time to get the cars and the other vehicles out to the public, it is just as it is with medicine befor it get´s out on the market. Another factor is that oil intrests still can be found amongs our top-leaders and they are in close business with oil companys, stocks and such. The new generation "oil-sheikhs" will be the alternative fuel sheikhs. Wait a generation or two and it will be here.

The days for big oil companys are enumerated IMHO.

Doc.S
March 27th, 2005  
A Can of Man
 
 
I think oil companies have alternative fuel ideas on the table already. I think they're going to bust them out once the fuel shortages REALLY get serious. oil companies are so insanely rich it's ridiculous... with those resources I find it hard to believe that they haven't come up with anything yet.
March 28th, 2005  
Zyca
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I think oil companies have alternative fuel ideas on the table already. I think they're going to bust them out once the fuel shortages REALLY get serious. oil companies are so insanely rich it's ridiculous... with those resources I find it hard to believe that they haven't come up with anything yet.
My friends and I actually believe that the oil companies are what's stopping us from advancing forward with the alternative fuel technologies. It's like DeBeers controlling all the diamonds, the oil companies control all the research labs. It does make sense if you think about it: Oil companies are insanely rich, they can seek out the private parties researching on alternative fuel technologies and buy them, directly influence the progress and exposure. When the day comes that they can no longer squeeze milk from gasoline, kaboom! They release the new money cow, how convenient!
March 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man
 
 
Zyca, I woudln't be surprised if they already have the alternative and are just waiting utnil they can finish cashing in on the remaining world oil. I guess the earth can suffer a little longer eh? Maybe the new fuel isn't as cost effective to get and refine but they know that if they price it too high, another oil company with another alternative fuel pricing it a bit cheaper will win all the contracts.
You know what I mean? Oil would be the cheapest option of all, so if anyone came out with the alternative today, they would report severe losses anyways. So they wait until people HAVE to convert out of oil either out of the price going up due to the lack of supplies Or the world REALLY can't take it anymore.
March 28th, 2005  
Corocotta
 
 
I think we have to remeber the relations betwen the US oil companies such as Exxon an Bush Administration. ExxonMobil’s contributions in the 2002 election cycle totaled more than US $1 million with 91% of it going to the Republicans. Coincidence? I do not think so.
March 28th, 2005  
Corocotta
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFAUX2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by staurofilakes
I think we have to remeber the relations betwen the US oil companies such as Exxon an Bush Administration. ExxonMobil’s contributions in the 2002 election cycle totaled more than US $1 million with 91% of it going to the Republicans. Coincidence? I do not think so.
2002 elections? come on why wold you keep posting your crap?
War in irak began in 2003, so the elections before the war were in 2002. Don´t you see the relation??

Read this: http://www.campaignmoney.com/exxon_mobil.asp