war for oil

I think we established there are a million other, cheaper more effective and less politically risky ways to get oil.
His endorsement to drill Alaska is probably a possible example of the oil lobbying at work, but Iraq? Unless the oil companies sacked all their smart people overnight, I don't think that's a course of action they would have chosen.

I think that war in Irak might have been necesary at least from US point of view. Letting a big part of oil market in the hands of a maniac-depressive could have caused bigger problems than removing him from power. I do not like the excuse of giving fredom to iraqui people, there are some many places that need democracy...., the thing is that below them there are no natural resources.....

No Saddam Hussein was no maniac. If you assured his survival and ensured that the sanctions would get relaxed if he cooperated with the selling of oil at a good price, then it would have struck. Why would Saddam do anything otherwise?
Why risk going to war for something that can be achieved without a single shot being fired and that route being a lot cheaper and less politically controversial? That is my question. Why risk it? Every time you go to war, you risk having an irreversable political disaster. So the question is again, WHY? And I don't think anyone here's answered my question.

the_13th_redneck said:
No Saddam Hussein was no maniac. If you assured his survival and ensured that the sanctions would get relaxed if he cooperated with the selling of oil at a good price, then it would have struck. Why would Saddam do anything otherwise?
Why risk going to war for something that can be achieved without a single shot being fired and that route being a lot cheaper and less politically controversial? That is my question. Why risk it? Every time you go to war, you risk having an irreversable political disaster. So the question is again, WHY? And I don't think anyone here's answered my question.

I tought that the embargo was due to his hobbie of keeping WMD. The sanctions were going to finish once he let the inspectors finish their work, he expulse them from Irak acussing them of being spies....

Sadam was an ego centric, and may be he tought that he could resist US troops in a non conventional war played in Baghdad....

I think what Saddam was banking on was that he would hide, the Americans would come and win, but would pull out once they sustained too many casualities, where in which he would get out of hiding and return to power.
So much for that :lol:

I think if someone showed Saddam the alternative, where his survival would be guaranteed and full sovreignty returned to Iraq over the next few years if he cooperated with the oil, there could have been a way to make it work. In fact, remember Saddam was very much a family man as well. You can always tell him that even though he can guarantee his own survival, he cannot guarantee the survival of his own close family in the event of war, which is true. And so to benefit all sides, a compromise would be made. Basically we're talking a food-for-oil program at the extreme.

Back