war for oil - Page 2




 
--
Boots
 
March 24th, 2005  
Missileer
 
 
The US Government maintains a strategic reserve of crude so they do not have to depend on fuel output of any country. I don't know where it is or how much they have stockpiled and I don't think that can be found on Google but fuel from the supply has been used several times to bolster the amount in use in the USA.
March 25th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
The US Government maintains a strategic reserve of crude so they do not have to depend on fuel output of any country. I don't know where it is or how much they have stockpiled and I don't think that can be found on Google but fuel from the supply has been used several times to bolster the amount in use in the USA.
That was President Clinton's doing. He tapped the strategic reserves when gas prices were high in an effort to ease prices. President Bush has refused to follow Clinton's actions citing high gas prices is not enough to tap the reserves.

Here is a little history on the strategic oil reserves. The reserve was formed after the oil embargo in the 1970's for emergencies. I refuse to think high gas prices count as an emergency. According to MSN, the oil reserves were at 540 million barrels of oil when Bush took office in 2001. Now the reserve stands around 660 million barrels of oil. The democrats have said that we should not be adding to the reserve because of high prices. I love how everything is politics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5015445
March 25th, 2005  
Doc.S
 

Topic: Re-War for Oil


I want to know for how long the world can let this oil price race continue without become furious and stop acting nice just out of pleasant kindness? As long as ppl pay or untill there are massive demonstrations where westerners just pull down their govīs power statues and start to talk about war against them that increases the oil prices all the time just to punish and halt the democracys to spread?

Doc.S
--
Boots
March 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
When American gas prices hit $5 a gallon gas is going to become an issue that will dwarf abortion etc. in the political realm.
March 25th, 2005  
Doc.S
 

Topic: Re-War for Oil


Whispering Death wrote:
Quote:
When American gas prices hit $5 a gallon gas is going to become an issue that will dwarf abortion etc. in the political realm.
Well let`s hope that those who actualy are trying to get the prices up to $5 gallon of gas starts to think about this. Because there is a great difference between simple citizens and smoth talking diplomats/politicians. When ppl are feed up of anti-war they soon go pro-war if you look at human history. Plesant kindness can turn against them faster then lightning. Just a note for the akrodha (freedom from anger).

Doc.S
March 25th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 

Topic: Re: Re-War for Oil


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.S
I want to know for how long the world can let this oil price race continue without become furious and stop acting nice just out of pleasant kindness? As long as ppl pay or untill there are massive demonstrations where westerners just pull down their govīs power statues and start to talk about war against them that increases the oil prices all the time just to punish and halt the democracys to spread?

Doc.S
Umm I am not sure how to respond to this as I am not sure I understand your point, but it is not oil producers that really set the oil price it is the buyer, sure producers could dump oil on the market by increasing production but in the end we have to face the fact that at some point we have to find alternatives and high oil prices make work on those alternatives more appealing.

Basically oil producers dont want high oil prices as it makes alternatives and work on alternatives more viable.
March 25th, 2005  
Doc.S
 

Topic: Re-War for Oil


Please interpret that question as you want MontyB

Letīs hope that there are alternatives on its way.... And soon.... There are talks at work that I think is improper to put up even on this board, ppl are growing impatient with this. Simple ppl dont give a crap in alternatives as long as they are as expensive and hard to get hold of as they are today.

They are turning from extrem left to the extrem right over here with force at the moment, and now I am talking about fathers with sonīs and mothers with sons and daughters. People are used to have the freedom to take their car to drive from point A to B without have to worry about point C if needed. Gas over here is like food for others. 8)

Doc.S
March 25th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country
 
 

Topic: Re: Re-War for Oil


Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Basically oil producers dont want high oil prices as it makes alternatives and work on alternatives more viable.
I don't know about that. The cost of Oil is up over 100% in the last 2 years. The OPEC countries are sure making some serious money off that. Also companies that deal with oil and/or benefit from the price of oil are quite happy. My brother works for a company that deals with 80% of business gas cards here in the US. His company makes a percentage off every transaction. Higher gas prices=mo money!!!!!

One more thing, alternitive energy takes a lot of time to develop and even more time for society to buy into the idea. The world is going to be dependent on oil for a long time. Iceland is the exception. Thier government is planning to be oil free by 2050 (give or take). Go Iceland!!!!
March 25th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 

Topic: Re: Re-War for Oil


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Basically oil producers dont want high oil prices as it makes alternatives and work on alternatives more viable.
I don't know about that. The cost of Oil is up over 100% in the last 2 years. The OPEC countries are sure making some serious money off that. Also companies that deal with oil and/or benefit from the price of oil are quite happy. My brother works for a company that deals with 80% of business gas cards here in the US. His company makes a percentage off every transaction. Higher gas prices=mo money!!!!!

One more thing, alternitive energy takes a lot of time to develop and even more time for society to buy into the idea. The world is going to be dependent on oil for a long time. Iceland is the exception. Thier government is planning to be oil free by 2050 (give or take). Go Iceland!!!!
Hehe go Iceland indeed.

Alternative fuels don't take that long to develope either there are several options in use already ie Methanol, Liquid Petroleum Gas, Compressed Natural Gas and the various Gasoline-Alcohol blends, which while not removing the dependency on oil do reduce it somewhat what seems to be required more than anything though is a commitment at government level.
------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.S
Please interpret that question as you want MontyB

Letīs hope that there are alternatives on its way.... And soon.... There are talks at work that I think is improper to put up even on this board, ppl are growing impatient with this. Simple ppl dont give a crap in alternatives as long as they are as expensive and hard to get hold of as they are today.

They are turning from extrem left to the extrem right over here with force at the moment, and now I am talking about fathers with sonīs and mothers with sons and daughters. People are used to have the freedom to take their car to drive from point A to B without have to worry about point C if needed. Gas over here is like food for others. 8)

Doc.S
But thats just the point there is no incentive to develope alternatives until the existing technology also becomes expensive but you cant blame the oil producing countries for high prices as the price is set by what the consumer is prepared to pay.

mod edit: Do not post back to back. Use the edit button to add to an existing post.
March 26th, 2005  
Doc.S
 

Topic: Re-War for Oil


Well sir as I did say before, interpret that question as you want, common ppl do not see the the purchasers as the main threat to the extreme gasoline prices thats for sure, some ppl blame George Bush (big-city fokes), even more are sick and tired on all conflicts in the middle east, terrorism (country-side fokes) that seems to be a never ending story. I think that OPEC did show its muscles in the 70ths and that is something ppl seems to remember. IMHO I think oil buyers and oil producers need to turn on the big charm machine soon, because it seems not to work anymore with the "pride and we got it"- look. Wrong people can make use of such detest that is growing right now.

Doc.S