War Movies

Well, should we label the people who founded the united states of America as traitors because they didn't respect corrupt laws?

I wouldn't call a slave who killed his master a murderer. Who cares if it was common practice at that time.

But I guess that nations are the new kings in our times. We dont kill for the queen or the queen and country, but for a flag... just country... We are evolving so fast...

Well, I spare you my universalist propaganda...

Well, should we label the people who founded the united states of America as traitors because they didn't respect corrupt laws?

I wouldn't call a slave who killed his master a murderer. Who cares if it was common practice at that time.

But I guess that nations are the new kings in our times. We dont kill for the queen or the queen and country, but for a flag... just country... We are evolving so fast...

Well, I spare you my universalist propaganda...

Nope I would call them freedom fighters, people who wanted their freedom from a oppressive government, or people who wanted to start their own country, things like that.
As far as a slave killing his master, if I had my way that would have never happened because no man would EVER be a slave to another man. Slavery is one thing I would like to see nonexistent from Adam and Eve on up

Well, we (Aussies) got into trouble for cheering the Brits on, in the film 'The Patriot' in a US Army run cinema.
We thought it was funny but the yanks were quite upset we were cheering the bad guys. Took a great deal of explaining that we were merrily backing the home country so to speak.
We didnt complain when the audiance cheered Mel gibson's character killing the Brits!!!!
Different perspectives I guess. I still get a chuckle when I think about that day.
"Well, we (Aussies) got into trouble for cheering the Brits on,"

That should be framed, it is the first time I have ever heard of Aussies cheering for the English. Seems some Aussies have forgotten how their forefathers were treated under British rule.:drink:

Well I left this thread when you jerkoffs started fightin

I'll try an get you back on topic,,,MOVIES. Anybody remember "The Gallant Hours" with James Cagney as Admiral Bull Halsey?

Last edited:
I guess expecting people not to fight on a military sight is a bit like the comment by the President in the movie "Dr Strangelove." "There will be no fighting in the War Room." LOL

war movies

my faves are stalingrad.cross of iron and das boot.why is it they dont make a lot of war films from the german point of view i would love someone to make a film about the waffen ss:)

Glorification of the SS is already going way too far nowadays (fortunately, not here in Germany, except for that small, useless bunch of neo-Nazi suckers. But elsewhere, there's much more of a problem - from what I heard, mainly in the US).
My great-grandfather was in the "1. SS-Panzer-Division, Leibstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler" (the personal Bodyguard Regiment from which the Waffen-SS was mostly recruited afaik).
I know what he did. If you wish for a film made about the Waffen-SS, are you sure you know what you're wishing for? What's so interesting about Jews, Communists or surrendered enemy soldiers being slaughtered? Personally, I don't need any movie as a reminder of what my ancestor did to the world. He deserved whatever he died from in Siberia...

Moloch, even if I agree with you. And that I congratulate you for your fairness. It's good to see people that love justice more than their own blood.
But you shouldnt see it as a glorification of the SS.

And there is interesting things that could be worth watching. The SS did more than slaughtering civilians. They joined battles and fought a lot.

I took Cross of Iron after Iron cross's post... And I'm watching the DVD right now.

I'm just at the beginning. And I'm a scene where Steiner (the hero I presume) tells his commanding officer to kill the prisonners himself (he refuses to execute a russian kid in uniform)...

Glorification of the SS you said?

First of all...it's a long time since I watched the film for the last time myself, but as far as I remember we're talking about the Wehrmacht in this case, NOT the SS. And yes, it IS a glorification of the SS if your protagonist is a brave and just soldier who honorably fights for his country and doesn't commit a war crime acting against the orders he received. That's putting lipstick on the pig.

Haha, I love the expression "lipstick on a pig."...

I get your argument.

My bad if it's not the SS... I dont honestly see the difference. But you know, in big things like wars. Sometimes, there is good people who are caught in the mess...

And civil disobediance glorifies the individual but not the "corp"... Do you see what I mean?

But the Corps is represented by this individual if it's the protagonist of the film, that's what I want to say. You get a wrong idea of those guys if the one you see over and over again throughout the movie is a not-that-bad-just-a-soldier-doing-his-job-type of guy...

But I dont think so to some extents.

I dont think that Adolf Hitler was the prince of darkness in a man's body... he was a man. Just like another man.

There is no such thing as ultimate evil. Sometimes people get lost in their lives... And in events as big as wars and even world wars... Sometimes good people get caught in the story.

Not all the German soldiers in WWII are monsters... And not all ally soldiers are angels...

And some German soldiers fought "heroically" the Russians to surrender to the Allies. And knowing how the Russians treated the civilians... I think we should give them medals for that.

It's a complex world my friend. Sometimes this kind of things happen...

Well, perhaps I should have pointed out WHO I think gets a wrong picture of what happened back then.
For the most, I'm worrying about people that are not able or not willing to reflect the things they see on TV. Of course, an educated mind usually will take the time to do so and knows enough about this war to build its own opinion.
I'm well aware of the fact that there were true heroes even among the ranks of the Wehrmacht; Lt. Friedrich Lengfeld, for example, was a medic in the 275th German Infantry Div. during the battle for the Hürtgenwald. He died when trying to save a wounded American infantryman from a mine field.
But again, I have to emphasize that the Wehrmacht and the SS have been two completely different institutions. The Wehrmacht existed since the foundation of the German Kaiserreich in 1871 (and to some extent before that, because it consisted of the united armed forces of the German Kingdoms that existed before and within the Kaiserreich). The Wehrmacht had an honorable history to build on, those serving in the Wehrmacht were trained by officers who were there long before Hitler. The Waffen-SS, on the other hand, was created by Hitler and the NSDAP with the intent to have armed forces at hand that were not included in the normal military command structure. They were the ones that committed most of the crimes, they WERE the bad guys.

Back