War Movies

Band of Brothers was most authentic,all Equipment an vehicles were correct. I was issued the same stuff.

Band of Brothers was amazing, and the part I liked the most was the before feature interviews with some of the men who actually served in the unit...

Superb programme........

My favorite war movies are Kelley's Heroes, Midway, tota tora tora, Dirty Dozen, Midway, and any other from that era, my favorite modern war movies are Star Wars, the Empire Strikes back, and Return of the Jedi.

There was a WW2 vet who was a Pearl Harbor survivor, who told the History Channel that there weren't really as many planes as there was in the movie

MOvies and TV. Fiction not Fact!

For my two pennies, as someone who works in television, I view war movies and most TV and films that reflect a time in the past as nothing more than entertainment.

Hollywood down to even the smaller TV stations and production companies never let little details like historical facts get in the way of a good story or earning more money.

You can here the writer and production company talking now.

What do you mean there was no American there?
Historical fact sir, there was no American there.
Not to worry, just rewrite the events so that we can get John Wayne a good leading role in the movie. John Wayne puts bums on seats, not historial facts!

Same can be said of almost all movies and TV.

Sad but true!

For those who think that Hollywood should have some historical accuracy... Well guys, it's a movie, not a documentary.

Their objective is to entertain, not to educate or inform. It's like the movie 300 (spartans). Some people loved it a lot for being entertaining. But was it realistic? Some Iranians/middle-eastern people said that it was an insult... But it was just a comic book adaptation. Of course it was a joke.

There was a documentary called "the stand of the 300" who gave up the whole story... It explained how equiped the Spartans were (heavy armor) and why the light infantry of the Persians couldnt take them from the front... And that there was much more than 300 spartans... And how the persians were good in the political point of view (freedom, human rights) and how advanced they were in a technical point of view (military bridge etc...) and how the greek army wasnt surrounded from the sea because Pericleas (not sure of the name) prepared a navy force to block the persians from crossing behind the main land force (combined arms)...

Movies are just movies... Nothing more nothing less... They may be some scenes that are interesting, like the first scene in "Saving private Ryan"... To show the horror they went through that day... But was it really like that? Yeah, somehow... We will never know.

Take a look at black hawk down... Pure propaganda if you want my opinion, and the military helped a lot in the movie. No way they would allow any negative point of view on the US military in the movie...

They even took out a scene where a Ranger machine gunner opened fire on a building where there was friendly forces...

Even a thing as comon as little friendly fire incident in a chaotic battle wasnt allowed in the movie... Why? because there was a will to show these men as perfect...

They didnt tell us that one the "heroes" in the movie was arrested after the war for crimes in his life as civilian...

No, it's not important.

If you want reality or truth... Stop watching movies...

Eeeehh Stebbins being arrested after the Battle of the Mog wasn't relevant. It had nothing to do with the battle itself.

It doesnt seem relevant. But I think that the movie was made to "honor" these men somehow...
One key character in the movie was a criminal. It was the character played by Ewan Mc Gregor for christ sake...
For me, it's a huge mistake...

It doesnt seem relevant. But I think that the movie was made to "honor" these men somehow...
One key character in the movie was a criminal. It was the character played by Ewan Mc Gregor for christ sake...
For me, it's a huge mistake...

Yeah and OH no! All the friendly fire incidents between the Somalis that day were not shown either! Gasp!

Seriously..

Yep, there was a scene where a ranger came out of a house, to find himself between a man and kid (both armed), the kids open fire, misses his target and hit the man behind... His father or something like that...

The ranger rises his gun, but doesnt shoot...

But KJ, you have to understand that the scene was made... But they took it out of the movie before shipping it to the market.

I wish there was a movie to show both sides of the story... I'm a bit bored by these kinds of things...

I agree LeMask, a war movie that follows characters on both sides of the conflict in depth would be fairly epic, and as far as I know it hasn't been done.

Sadly, many movies today look to please the critics rather than their audiences. Critics would be more interested in who is playing the parts and what 'action' is involved, because it is a war movie, rather than the historic truth. This is probably why people like me prefer the video games because they are far more historically true than the movies!

Yin717, dont want to contradict you, but it seems like the "critics" (the real critics at least) care more about the historical accuracy than the "audiences"...

The average audiance wants to see action and a easy to understand scenario... Well defined bad guys, and well defined good guys...

Good American Rangers against evil Nazis... and yay, everybody is happy...

Like the good spartans fighting for democracy against evil Persians... And yay, nice movie...

I think that the movies and especially the war movies should show a complex situation... Easy to understand and impossible to understand if we look carefully...

And I think that reality is much more interesting and "rich" than fiction...

You can watch war movies your whole life... But try to follow actual soldiers in battle... And you will see things you never saw...

I dont care about the propaganda in the movies, I just care about the quality... I think that they are doing more damage to their own cause (if they have one) than anything else...

It's not exactly a movie but a mini-series, I'm currently watching Band of Brothers (again) to prepare for the new Series 'the pacific'. I really like it because it's not the usual unrealistic black and white thing.
I would love to see a movie or mini series where you get more info on the way German soldiers fought and behaved- after all it was the most effective force in the world until it was scattered and led by a crazy man... Almost every movie, German or hollywood gets damaged by the dogma to show the evil nazi- or the need to show how bad war is- yes- there were many evil men that did unimaginable cruel things and yes war is ugly and no one wants it- but I'd like to see both German and other regular soldiers in their daily life and in combat like in band of Brothers.... I'm aware that there are some out there but most of them are pretty old. I personally love 08/15 (a very old German movie on an artillary platoon from basic to war)

ps. "a war movie that follows characters on both sides of the conflict in depth would be fairly epic" (leMask/ Major Liability...)--> Word!

Last edited:
You know what I really want to see?
What on earth happened to the Iraqi Army during the invasion in 2003? Where did those guys go when Paul Bremer disbanded the Iraqi Army? What was going through the mind of an Iraqi Army Captain or Major who had invested his life in the Army and now had his livlihood (and his potential pension) ripped away from him?
We get plenty of stories of our guys over there, which is also very valuable and needs to be heard, but I want to know what the whole thing looked like through the eyes of the enemy.
Which ones joined what factions of the insurgency? Where did some of the other folks go? Did some go home to their families? How were they recieved?
Shoot... if someone actually gathered all these stories, a mini-series or series could be made about Saddam's Iraqi Army from March 19th (a day before the invasion) until the present... maybe following some people from a single Iraqi Republican Guard platoon... that would be really interesting and hopefully educational as well.

When I hide in an ambush position, what I see may be important, but I really want to know what my position looks like from the road I'm covering. That's precisely the sort of thing this kind of series would be.

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea Redneck... How an Iraqi moves from the soldier working for a dictator to insurgent...

And of course, there should be many characters, the ones who will work as foot soldiers or as "officers" (hiring, training, giving orders)... Or maybe the ones who will later join the coalition forces in their fight or those who will join the terrorists who bomb the civilians...

That would be interesting. Most people dont understand how complex the situation is in Iraq.

And speaking about mini series, did you see Generation Kill? I just loved the whole serie. I like HBO's series... I just saw Rome and Generation Kill, but I just loved them both...

Well, that's interesting... If even the mods say that.

But can you give some arguments so we can debate on that? Because once said like that... it's just a plain insult.

Are you talking about my language? English is indeed a second language (third in fact).

Or is my ideas you dont like. And in this case, it's not very smart to label people like that... Even I can share the same ideas/opinions as you, following the topics...

So go easy on the "all the time."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]No one can pretend holding the truth and the right ways towards the progress and for the wellbeing of our people.
[/FONT]

Back