War movies I'd like to see made with a Hollywood-sized budget.

It is from a Frank Miller graphic (good word for his work) novel. I don't think he's much of a historian, but he's a great storyteller.

i wouldn't mind seeing the battle of leyte gulf or the hunt for the bismark made with all the bells and whistles that hollywood has. those could both be told from both sides.

You know why we never see any of these awesome ideas in movie form? The general public has such poor history of military operations and history that no one would know what we're talking about. The producers at the film companies aren't going to make a movie with such doubts about public interest in them. Still, i would rather have no war movie than to see another one made about normandy or the liberation of france. It was one place, get over it.

Battle for Mont. Igman

Bosnian Civil War 1993

This is what a guy told me who was in this battle;

The Battle for Mount Igman was one of the biggest and one of the most brutal battles in the Bosnian Civil war. The Bosnian Muslim army, along with a very strong force of foreign Mujahadeen fighters, occupied the mountain, over looking Sarajevo. The Serbs launched a massive ground attack and were repulsed many times. After suffering many casualties and loosing many tanks, the Serbs realized that the ground attack was going nowhere. So the Serbs decided to storm the top of Igman with a small and elite heloborn air assault force. This was an instant success and the Muslims, who were on the lower elevations in their fighting positions, were now caught in a trap. Eventually, surviving Muslim soldiers fled the battle, leaving Igman to the Serbs. It is said that General Ratko Mladic was the one who orchestrated the air assault operation that gave Igman to the Serbs.

Note; not many foreign Mujahadeen fighters escaped.

Fox said:
I think Tak Guk Gi means the brotherhood war. I have seen it. it is a good damn war movie.

I Watching Korean Movie ''Taegukgi'' in DVD similiar like Saving Private Ryan

poster01taegukginx8.jpg

AussieNick said:
I'd say make a movie about Kokoda, Effogi, Milne Bay, Shaggy Ridge or any of the other harrowing PNG campaigns.

There is also a book that should be made into a film called "The Sea Shall Not Have Them".

I've forgotten the name of the Author but it was published in the early 50's and it is about the air sea rescue fleets in the English Channel/North Atlantic in 1944/1945. It is an intense and amazing story.

Yea, great story, and I think it was made into a film in the 50's - think 1954 and Dirk Bodgarde was in it

MightyMacbeth said:
yeah lol.. I liked his movies I forgot their name.. but he was younger and it was in australia. Mad boy? Mad something I forgot..

When I was visiting cousins in Long Island NY, Mad Max was on the TV and to my HORROR it had English subtitles. You Americans !!!!
Aussies, we speak good English, ya know cobba's !!!!! :)

Operation Barras

good shout:thumb:

you could do a lot of backround work on the history of Sierre Leone and the war there as well

btw have you read the book by Damien Lewis (Operation certain death) about the rescue?

i dont know if it has been mentioned in here yet, but i highly recommend the movie "Gallipoli". One of Mel Gibsons first films...before he left Australia & went back to the USA. Awesome, Classic, what more can i say

Last edited:
A "what if" movie about the Soviet invasion of west Germany/Europe; Battle for the Fulda Gap. I would like to see the story mainly focus on the people (both military and civilian) rather then on the political. No reason has to be given for the war, just the human story from all sides. NOT A RAMBO FLICK!

GI_JOEJK said:
A "what if" movie about the Soviet invasion of west Germany/Europe; Battle for the Fulda Gap. I would like to see the story mainly focus on the people (both military and civilian) rather then on the political. No reason has to be given for the war, just the human story from all sides. NOT A RAMBO FLICK!
Yeh I thought about that. Maybe about a NATO soldier who's been taken prisoner, then escaped from a Warsaw Pact POW camp in Western Germany, is concealed by a local suburban or rural family (which is risky for both: The civilians because they could be punished by the occupiers and for the soldier because the civilians could betray him under pressure)...maybe also some form of friendship between NATO and WP (especially West and East German) soldiers/people.

Back