War Movies in general - Page 2

--
Boots

January 27th, 2005  
A Can of Man

haha no.
But we kind of do
We made a football movie but we did have scenes where we were dressed up in camouflage fatigues, sneaking into homes and ironing their clothing.
January 27th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: let me think

I got a good idea for a film...............

1 Night with a london lass:

scene setting...west london friday night, girls getting ready, naked shower scenes and bedroom changing scenes. Maybe an odd slip of a hand or a tongue girl to girl.

Moving on to town, the rights of a night out and the whole ways of going wrong.

Sex, booze, lies, partying

Ah on second thoughts. Throw this all in on an army town and hey presto got a good old film there
January 27th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Well we had 3 sexually deprived bastards running around Bath. No that doesn't count
But we did have shooting, killing etc. What do u expect from a film by 3 blokes?
War movies are hard to make, especially for the small groups because you have to get the gear and kit even close to right for it to be good. Of course you can be guerillas, but who would u be fighting? etc.
--
Boots
January 28th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: oi oi

What you doing in Bath? You turned into a posh ponse all of a sudden?
January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

A good ol' pal lives there and he had just come back from Mallorca and so couldn't afford much of anything. So Leuven was ruled out, and the Banbury bloke didn't want to make an arse of himself in front of people he knew.
January 28th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I think we're seeing a dropoff in war movies because we are at war. People generally like to go to the movies to escape reality and war is a hot topic at the moment. I'll bet we'll see a resurgence of war movies starting in ~2006.

Especially after the horrendous disaster that was Alexander, I think the general consensus around the studios is the ancient-warfare genre is dead... and if history is any guide it will stay that way for another 30 years before it pops up again :-/

I think a better subject is what war is going to be the next war movie. Is WW2 played out? Is it time to explore Vietnam and Korea? Will someone step up to the plate and make an Iraq/Terrorism film? Or will uncharted land be picked up with Napolean or something? Ideas?
January 28th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: ha ha ha ha

I heard Mel Gibson is thinking of doing a film based on islam/muslim and maybe about 9/11 or the events and terroisim leading up to it
January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Uhhh, not a good idea at this time Mel.
Dropoff of Ancient War Movies. First of all, I think the problem with those movies is that they're too "grand." As in they DRIP with heroism. If you look at "King Arthur," practically every frame of that movie could have been a screen poster and looked really good. Now that's what I mean. And plus the dialogue... (from Gladiator) "Markus Aurelius trusted you, his daughter trusts you... I shall trust you."
I think that there is more demand for recreations of actual recent events or movies based on them (Tears of the Sun was based on actual happenings from around Africa's trouble spots... but the Navy SEALs were just put in to have a reason for Americans to be there... fortunately were given a realistic enough mission).
Movies are under pressure to be more realistic and many audiences seem to turn to them now to give them a better picture on happenings in the world.
January 28th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: oi

King Athur was good, but wasn't galahad..........gwenivier and Lancelot's son lol

Seems they ruined the story by bunching every 1 up together.

I say get more origin and less computer graphics and fancy things etc
January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Problem with King Arthur is that there seems to be no concrete ANYTHING about the story to begin with. There's the original story and even added chapters, spinoffs etc of old... makes the whole thing confusing.
King Arthur was a bit silly with the accents. You had that Freddie Ljungberg look alike with some kind of Scandinavian thing going, then the guy who was I think his father who had an American Hells Angels accent.