WAR/MILITARY MUSIC & VIDEOS - Page 2

--
Boots

July 11th, 2014  
Sara

Metallica's "One" 1989
Based on the 1939 novel "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbell...A tale about a soldier who loses his limbs after being hit by a land mine.

July 14th, 2014  
Sara

Metallica~~'For Whom The Bell Tolls'~~Album: Ride the Lightning (2012)
A song inspired by Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel of the same name about the dishonor of modern warfare and the protagonists imminent doom during the bloody Spanish Civil War(1936-1939).

July 14th, 2014  
Sara

Sabaton~~'Soldier of 3 Armies'~~

A song about Lauri Torni(28 May 1919 - 18 Oct.1965)a Finnish army captain who led the infantry company in the Finnish Winter and Continuation War. He moved to the US after WW2. A soldier who fought under three flags: Finnish,German, and American (where he is known as Lauri Thorne). He served in the US Army Special Forces in the Vietnam war.

--
Boots
July 17th, 2014  
Sara

Bruce Springsteen~~~' Born In The U.S.A' ~~~A song about freedom. Album: 'Born in the U.S.A.' (1984)

Rise Against ~ 'Hero of War'~ A song about the violence of war, but also for the troops overseas protecting their respective countries. Album: 'Appeal To Reason' (2008)

July 18th, 2014  
Sara

Pearl Jam ~ 'Yellow Ledbetter' ~ (1992)
There are many different interpretations of this song. A common theory is that it's about a boy receiving a letter and finding that his brother had died overseas in the Gulf war. The boy then takes a walk.. waves at a couple who have the flag hanging on their front porch..but they don't wave back. In the official bootleg release in 2003, Vedder sings "I'd like to wish this war away,I tried, but it just don't happen that way. And my brother, they sent him off to fight for a flag..."...box or bag...
July 18th, 2014  
Sara

Rush ~ 'Red Sector A' ~ Album: 'Grace Under Pressure' (1984)
A song written by Neal Peart about the Nazi concentration camps. It also has to do with Singer/Bassist Geddy Lee's remembrance of his mother's accounts of the Holocaust, which she survived. She was liberated from Bergin-Belson in 1945. His father was liberated a few weeks after his mother,from Dachau concentration camp.
While the Nazi camps of WW2 were his primary lyrical motivation, Peart decided to abstract the lyrics so as to apply the experiences of atrocity of any similar prison camp scenario.
It's a song about being on the brink and having the courage and strength to survive.

Song is set to a video of clips from the movie 'Band of Brothers'.

July 20th, 2014  
Redleg

Here's one from one of my favorite metal bands.

Iron Maiden, the Trooper!
It's based on the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava 1854

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uq6Ax-zzkQ
July 22nd, 2014  
MontyB

I used to love Iron Maiden but it is hard to take a man in tights seriously.

Anyhow here is my contribution...

July 23rd, 2014  
Sara

Metallica ~ 'The Day That Never Comes'~ 2008

A video filmed in the desert outside Los Angeles, CA...
The video depicts two marines riding in an HMMWV and getting hit by an explosion. The video then forwards to one of the marines encountering a civilian needing help.

July 28th, 2014  
Sara

The Cranberries ~ 'Zombie' ~ 1994 Album-'No Need To Argue'

The video includes clips of children playing,and of various British soldiers from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders on patrol in Northern Ireland.