WAR MEMORIAL IN TIERGARTEN: BATTLE FOR BERLIN 1945

Maksym Chornyi

I was lucky to visit Berlin in 2019 and to study a tiny part of its extensive WWII heritage. In this exhaustingly detailed research of 10 000 words l invite you to get into the detail about the Battle for Berlin in Spring 1945, the losses among the civilian population, the German military, and Soviet losses, the destruction of the city, and its post-war battle for life. I put together 80 books, 100+ photos (both archival and mine), and unpublished archives. Then take a closer historical look at the Tiergarten park before, during, and after the war and the history of the Soviet War memorial, once known among the German as the ‘Tomb of the Unknown Rapist’: from erection in 1945 until today.

More than always, I would greatly appreciate your feedback, questions, corrections, and personal stories related to Berlin. Your involvement matters greatly.

https://war-documentary.info/soviet-memorial-in-tiergarten-berlin/

memorial-tiergarten-main.jpg

It's great to see you online here again Maksym!
Hope everything is good with you and your close ones...

I enjoyed Berlin although I have a fascination with Bismarck and he has a statue in the Tiergarten, given that it was never really liked (understandably) by Germans to the point that it was referred to as the "Tomb of the Unknown Rapist" I am surprised it is still there.

Good to see you're alive and kicking. Looks like the Russians are still wrecking places the same way. I see your name is spelled a bit different in the Facebook posts.

Good to see you're alive and kicking. Looks like the Russians are still wrecking places the same way. I see your name is spelled a bit different in the Facebook posts.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes, we are fighting here in Ukraine and supporting our military men in taking the territories back. I was halfway through finishing this article about Tiergarten when the War started in February, and it took me time to overcome frustration and finish the material. The correlation between the air raids and war crimes in 1945 and now in my country in 2022 was too challenging in the first month. At the same time, I am now writing the next article, extensive research about the former German army HQ at Bendlerblock (today: German Resistance Memorial Center) in Berlin, which I visited on the same day in 2019 as the Tiergarten. I would share it in a few weeks in June.

Sorry for some misunderstanding with the name and surname. It would be evidently easier to call myself Max. I believe, this variant is international. When I was a student I used to write Maxim (the variant from FB), but years after I got my international passport and the 'Maksym' transliteration. There are different variants, but it is always Max

It's great to see you online here again Maksym!
Hope everything is good with you and your close ones...

Thank you very much for your support. I stayed with my parents and friends in my native city of Dnipro, in the center of Ukraine. It has been relatively safe here since the outbreak of the War, except for frequent air alarms, sometime ten times a day. Anyway, Ukraine would prevail. We are all here grateful for the international support.

Back