War memoirs

brinktk

I am seriously thinking of writing down my down range experiences while I am relatively young and they are fresh in my mind. I will have quite a lot of time off in the coming weeks so I am thinking now might be as good a time as any.

To the point, would anyone be interested in proof reading and vetting my work to ensure ease of reading (mainly making sure there isn't too much military vernacular so as to prevent confusion). Or simply to just tell me bluntly and honestly if it is something anyone would be interested in reading. Any feedback would be much obliged...warts and all.

There is an old saying that says everyone is a book that goes unwritten , the longest journey begins with the first paragraph .

I think it's a great idea to write down your experiences in the military and I believe a lot of people would be interested in reading them, brinktk. The older you get, the less you'll remember so now is the best time to start.

Remembering is not always the problem , handling the remembering can sometimes prove difficult .

That's been the hardest thing to do. I have been able to write quite a lot about the overarching themes...but getting into the details is something that I know is going to be a struggle. I've spent years trying to forget some of these things, but they refuse to be forgotten. And they shouldn't be...

I think we owe it to future generations to tell our stories. Let them know how it was. How we saw it.
How we and especially our relatives were affected by it. And maybe, just maybe, young people can learn something.

Let them know there is no glory or fame in what we have been through - just hard work.
Let them know that a life in the military costs at the personal level and the price can be very high.

Write your memoirs, brother.
It becomes part of our world history some day.

Back