War Dog Pictures

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Just up some pics of war dogs from around the world and in various services.

Here's my starting pics:

US Air Force

US Marines

Royal Marines

Australian Army

French Army

Woow, nice pics!!
Have any of you heard about russians using dogs as bombs during WWII in order to destroy german´s tanks??

Charge, this post is also relationated with the warrior religion warriors, I did not know that celtics used dogs in their wars...

gaulD16.jpg

Wood block print of the Celts in Gaul,
with "barbarian" Mastiff War Dog.
(approx. 86 B.C.)

Yeah, beardo, I saved the bottom two for shock value at the end. ;) :lol:

Nice graphic, staurofilakes. I was aware that the Celts had used war dogs, but hadn't seen any depictions of them that I can remember. Besides chainmail, the Romans also copied the use of Mastiffs as war dogs from the Celts.

Nice pics. Are u sure that's British Army? Looks like at least the one closest to the camera is a Royal Marine.

Charge_7 said:
Just up some pics of war dogs from around the world and in various services.

German Army (I think, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken)

This image is the French army

Thanks for the corrections guys. I've edited the post to reflect them.

Okay, I've had one war dog pic contribution. Where's some more?

From Vietnam:
wardog-viet-1ID-69.jpg

From the 11th Armored Division, World War II:
793.jpg

German war dogs from World War I:
snaps____wwi-war-dogs.jpg

From the dedication of the War Dog Memorial (USAF is bearing the colors):
war-dogs-flag-2.jpg

Nice pics, IAmFighter. I especially liked the German dogs in WWI gas masks.

That War Dog Memorial is, I believe, the Air Force branch specific one at March Field. The Army has one at Ft. Benning and I think the Marines have one too, however, there is to-date no National War Dog Memorial.

There is a campaign (of which I'm a part) to have a National War Dog Memorial to go along with the other great war memorials in Washington, D.C. You can write your Congressman and Senators about it, even better send a contribution. Last I knew the fund was very close to enough to pay for it. You can find out more here:

http://www.wardogsmemorial.org/

This is a scale model of what the National War Dog Memorial will look like.

It is estimated that US casualties from WWII forward would be at least 60% higher if not for war dogs.
They deserve every honor we can give them.

One thing you can do right now is to sign the online petition for a War Dog Commemorative Stamp. So far the US Postal Service has turned it down. They gave Bugs Bunny a stamp though. The signup page is located here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/4269/petition.html

Another good site to checkout is The United States War Dogs Association's page at:

http://www.uswardogs.org/index.html

Make sure you have your speakers on. ;)

Since nobody's added any pics in awhile, I will myself. Here's some pics of war dogs recently in Iraq.

Does a show, showing military trained dogs count? Have one on my computer somewhere, a Swedish show with dogs.

A couple weeks ago, my squadron visited McChord AFB, and we went to the attack dog training school. It was pretty sweet. Except that the guy got injured in the demonstration. :?

I'd be interested to hear the details. I've been training German Shepards with schutzhund training for decades. You can see some pics of it over in General Chit Chat in the "Post pics of your dog" thread. In all that time I've never been injured once. Chances are the demonstrator screwed up.

Back