War on American soil

WannabeRanger

I got the thinking today. America has not had a battle on our own soil since the Civil War. Some say that we have never had a foreign invader fight us on our own soil.(They say during the Revolution we still belonged to Britain so it was not technically our soil) I want to know what everybody thinks would happen if we had to fight a war on our own soil right here in the States. When I introduce this topic with my friends I get many different responses, so I'm curious to see what you guys have to say.

Technicly the British were here in 1812, the Japs attacked Hawie in 1940, that was a battle. The Japs also took some Islands of Alaska and the nazis had subs outside American waters that attacked American ships in WW2 not to meation all the nazi bomb plots and those soilders who landed. Also Septemeber 11,2001 was more or less of a battle agianst Terrorism...one we lost.

However if thier was going to get to America they would have to break through the Navy if coming by sea, and through our air defense system if they came by air. They may be able to get in through Canada but we would notice that and beat um.

"America has not had a battle on our own soil since the Civil War."

No, because you have always been the invader itself.

Dameon said:
Is kinda wierd one of our allies would try to attack us...
i'm telling you right now...it's going to be those canadians. right when we least expect it ;)

We won't know what hit us....weeks to recover from the attack maybe years....

However Canada does have a good poitn of attack, largest unguarded land border in the world ya know.

America doesn't need to worry about war on its home soil except terrorism. Anything else at this point is just paranoia.

EuroSpike said:
No, because you have always been the invader itself.
the comment has been bothering me for a while now. maybe because it's true, but it's not completely. i mean, in WW2 we didn't invade Japan and they attack us first. They attacked American held terroritory, but that was about as far as it got for them. Even though there were numerous attempts to attack the US mainland.

Well technicly the only war we went on an invading spree ourselves was the WFI and maybe the Spanish American war.

A quote from the Patriot comes to mind when I first read this thread

"This war will not be fought on the frontier or on some distant battlefield, but amoungst us, amoung our homes. Our children will learn of it with thier own eyes. And the innocent will dies with the rest of us."

I do not think that Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese invasion of the Alaskan islands, nor 9/11 counts as given our society a taste of war. No Japanese troops invaded Pearl, only a few US troops felt the wrath of war on the islands of Alaska and none of Bin Ladin's men marched in the streets of New York. A modern taste of war would have to be in the Balkans, where I watched mortar shells on the tv fall on the city of Sarajevo. That is war where an entire society felt its wrath.

Honestly most Americans would react in shock. It is kind of the reaction people gave to 9/11. Most people were shell shocked. People with military training will handle things a lot better since they have a mind set of that nature. For me, when 9/11 hit, I was not surprised at all, and I was able to function normally. In some news article, it was said that a large number of people still suffer from seeing 9/11. If people had so many problems with 9/11, I shutter to think if Americans have to suffer what Berlin did in 45.

AND if America was invaded, I would personally shoot any of those peace advocates that still cry about war.

:cry: :cry: :cry: ................................. :biggun:

no country right now seems to have the ability to bring their warships near U.S soil in war time...and we r not even talking about landing ships yet.

is that possible that Canada invades U.S someday?

If any nation manages to make it through and actualy land on any of the 48 conected states they have a pretty good chance. cause we would have to start blowing our own lland up to stop them.

Sexybeast said:
is that possible that Canada invades U.S someday?

I think you might have misunderstood the statement. Canada could be used as a back door into America, the Canadian-American border is the longest un-fortified border in the world, 3000+ miles and not a single point with a 10 foot high wall or men staring at each other over a white line ready to shoot each other with one phone call. A country, most likely Russia, could go over the North Pole and then move through thousands of miles of Canadian territory without ever seeing another human being, but the possiblity of this is slip, our advanced Radar lines in northern Canada would detect any planes, the ice makes it almost impossible for ships to move on the surface, and sneaking a huge fleet of submarines under the ice, and into Hudson Bay filled with troops and supplies is very unlikely.

The Navy would have to be almost completely destroyed in order for this to be accomplished, only a Russian-UK coalition could pull this off, even then it is unlikely because of the lack of new equipment and maintenace on existing Russian ships and the Royal Navy does not have a huge technological advantage on the US.

And the Air Force would have to be weakened to a great degree also. Our bombers would pose a threat to larger ships with the ability to drop nukes on the fleet (doesn't destroy all the ships but will cover the decks with radiation) and fighter-bombers like the F-22 Raptor, one of the world's most advanced, could be in and out of a fleet of ships in a matter of minutes with little or no warning.

And also the resilence of the American People, a lot of people like to say that America has no will to fight, and then they use Afganhistan and Iraq as examples. Well the US is not being invaded in either of those cases so the average person is not gonna feel the pressure of a war on one's doorstep. The US has a population of 280,00,000+, when I joined the Army I was told that only 12% of the population was eligible to join the military. If the US is invaded the draft would be enacted, so let's just say that half of those eligible are drafted into the military (we can supply the weapons and most Americans in the Mid West hunt or at the least know how to shoot.) so 6% of the population is drafted, that means we would have an Army of roughly 16,800,000, with a 7 to 1 logistics ratio that means that about 2.4 Million combat troops to fight in defense of their homes and families. How many countries could field an Army that big to invade the US? Not many. Maybe 2 million max to invade, that includes the troops needed for logistics.

With the way things are in the world these days, the likelihood of an attack on american soil that isn't terrorist in nature is very slim. The people that are most pissed off at America doesn't have to logistical support to put troops on the ground, the technology to get past our defenses, nor do they have the international support to generate such an invasion. Anyone thinking that the Red Army is going to cross the Atlantic and land on the eastern sea-board is just paranoid.

Quite right. The big issue with any possible invasion of the USA in the future is a logistical nightmare. The Bering Strait or the Mexican border are the only entry points by land. The Bering Strait is far from ideal with ice and icebergs and the cold weather in general. Add on top of it that Alaska doesn't have a decent system of highways, so moving very large Army through would take a very long time.

So what about Mexico? Well, its pretty unlikely that anyone is going to wriggle their way into the good graces of Mexico to a sufficient degree that they would consider any military alliance against the United States a good idea. They'd have a lot to lose and little hope of any gain in such a move.

Canada is an unguarded border for good reasons. There is absolutely no hostility between the United States and Canada. Well, at least not enough that its ever going to lead to a military confrontation. We're quite fond of our neighbors to the north. I do believe that they are quite fond of us as well. I think that we can definitely rule out Canada as a willing staging ground for invading the USA.

The United States of America's greatest protection is our location. Pick up the USA and drop it somewhere where we have some very strong and potentially dangerous neighbors and who knows where we'd be?

Back