Wanting to be a seal

Canada doesn't have a trade (MOC in Canada, not MOS) labeled 'Combat Diver'. It's a specialty qualification which can be earned as a Combat Engineer.

But, as others have already said...concentrate on the short term (ie: school and perhaps your initial recruitment). Worry about joining JTF2 later. A lot can happen between now and the time you're eligible for consideration, and you might decide that you're happy with your current position.

Another point that I should probably bring up is to gather as much information about the trades you're considering as you possibly can. The best place for that is the nearest Canadian Forces Recruiting Center, or if you're too far from one, you can hit up the Canadian Forces Recruiting website. There's plenty of information about specific trades, and the CFRCs also tend to have people there with the knowledge you might be looking for. Doesn't matter what age you are, that is a good place to start, and I'm willing to bet they would be happy to help you.

Those are good words to follow. You won't believe the kind of stuff that can happen over 4 years. Four years ago or even four months ago if someone told me I'd be putting in an application for the Army to become an NCO there I would have thought they were joking. That's just four months. Two years ago I would have had no idea that I was going to get married. Life changes a lot, lots of weird sh*t happens. Didn't know the US would clamp down on foreign workers so much either. I mean legal ones.
You really never can tell.

I am 14 1/2 right now i plan to be a seal when i am older i am in great shape and play hockey but right now would like a daily routine to start getting ready because i am going to really dedicate my self to this career and could use as much help possible right now i am just doing sit up's push ups stairs and pull up and running i would like a solid routine though and how to prepare my body since i am so young thats any help is appricated

Just keep working for now.
You don´t need to prepare for SOF selection at the age of 14.
A well rounded workout and general fitness will suffice at your age.

There are several work out regimes floating about on the internet that are useless if not dangerous at your knowledge level.
Keep fit for now and you will be taught all you need to know in due time.

IF you are serious about joining a SOF unit for the "Weapons loadout" or "the cool jobs" forget it.
You are not what the unit are looking for, and you will never pass selection. Just take up a very covented spot.

Better off getting good grades, keeping generally fit and work hard at everything you decide to do in life.
SOF will then become a natural choice in your future.

My opinion in the matter.
//KJ.

A good opinion.
Like those kids who want to be a professional athlete... then all of a sudden they suffer a career ending injury and the next thing they know they're doing dishes at a 3rd rate diner for the rest of their damned lives.

And Cdt Matteo, you won't know what it's like in the real thing until you get to the real thing. Not saying it's not the same, I never served in the Canadian military nor have I been a cadet but a lot of other cadets think that their experience, which in many cases is like a watered down boot camp, is representative of military life.
Like AussieNick said, just get to infantry first.

you aint in the deep **** swimming pool untill you are in the deep **** swimming pool:)

Just wanted to put this out there the US Navy Seals have just started taking US Coast Guard volunteers into the Seals.

I must be a freakin idiot, I always though the Coasties were the Navy. I thought about the Coasties myself but could never get comfy with the idea of wearing bell bottoms like a San Franciscan.

The Memo of Understanding was just signed a few weeks ago, I had the message on my desk last week. It said internet release authorized.

I'll throw my 2 cents in to this matter. For one thing, good on you for having a goal for your future. I would recommed that you wait until the age of 17, then join the Canadian regular force if you still want to be in the military by then. If there are still some doubts, then try the army reserves, it gives you alot better view of the army life than the cadets ever will, and if you don't like it you can just quit. Well it is army life just on weekends and summers...lol. One thing to keep in mind is that you will have the best chance at joining JTF-2 or CSOR if you are in the army....not the navy or airforce. You can still tryout, but the highest success rate comes from people in the army, the reason being they have more practice and experience with small-arms, unit tactices, etc. than applicants from the navy or airforce. JTF-2 is also much more than land forces, they have a SOF boat unit and SOF heli and transport unit as well. They all must however be qualified as JTF-2 assaulters (there are 2 classes of assaulters. first class being the main assault force and the second class assaulters being the support units i.e. the boat and air units along with cooks, riggers, mechanices, medics, etc.) so in this aspect of it Canada's JTF-2 is basicly the same as the American SEAL teams (don't forget there are more than just one type of SEALS....UDT, Counter Terrorist, support, etc.). Both countries SOF have very similar weapons load outs (this I will say should never be your reason for joining....as stated by many others before me.) and equipment. They both supply their SOF with some of the best training in the world, and they are probably training together alot aswell (it is very hard to find info on anything JTF-2, I recommed the book "JTF-2, Canada's Secret Commados" thats the most you will find about them, and whos to say that stuff is even true. Good read none the less.). It will be a hard journey but good luck, get as much info and help you can.

American SEAL teams (don't forget there are more than just one type of SEALS....UDT, Counter Terrorist, support, etc.).

For the record. USN -SPECWAR (SEAL) are trained in all areas that are necessary. Teams and plt's maybe designated as CT etc. But other teams are also trained in the same areas and may backfill. So while certain groups maybe designated a certain type they are interchangeable. SEAL support units are designated differently such as SDV SBU unit's etc.

Uhm, where in that document does it say anything about SQT?
All I read is that coasties can apply for BUD/s..
Before SQT you are not technically a SEAL, although many of the survivors from BUD/s manage SQT quite well there have been one or two who have stumbled on the finnish line if I am not misinformed.
And as for BUD/s, it´s a school. Tough? Sure. Undefeatable, no.

If the coasties get to go to BUD/s but not SQT. what about the SWCC guys, are they going to dissapear now the coasties appear or are there going to be different delivery teams?

SDV Teams are all SEAL qualled guys with their SQT done.
Big difference.

(there are 2 classes of assaulters. first class being the main assault force and the second class assaulters being the support units i.e. the boat and air units along with cooks, riggers, mechanices, medics, etc.)

Just a note CC...the classes in JTF2 aren't two classes of assaulter. There are 3 separate classes, and only one is 'assaulter'. They are: Special Operations Assaulter, Special Operations Cox'n, and Support. Link provided below for those interested:

http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/ajt-sfo/index-eng.asp

Just keep working for now.
You don´t need to prepare for SOF selection at the age of 14.
A well rounded workout and general fitness will suffice at your age.

I wouldn't even go as far as that. At 14 the most you should need to do in order to stay fit/get fitter is play sport. Play some school sport, as long as a few times a week you play organised sport you'll be fine. Worry about specific military fitness in the year before joining.

For the record. USN -SPECWAR (SEAL) are trained in all areas that are necessary. Teams and plt's maybe designated as CT etc. But other teams are also trained in the same areas and may backfill. So while certain groups maybe designated a certain type they are interchangeable. SEAL support units are designated differently such as SDV SBU unit's etc.

This sounds very similar to the way the Aust. SF works. Although the SAS squadrons rotate between CT duties, airborne and maritime duties... The same for the Commandos, they rotate at company strength through an East Coast Counter Terrorism Squad. Is this rotation used by the US groups?

Last edited:
Back